Views
Helpful
Replies

Linking two servers is two differnt floors

moh123321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We want to connect two servers in two differnt floors ( floor 1 and 27) together for redundancy and fail over, what is the best way, is it through fiber and establishing a VLAN connection?cai it work as Active- Active or Active - Standby?

Thanks

M

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In that case, click "Answered".

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From floor 1 to 27?  You'll need fibre optic.  You need to determine the total distance.  If it's 300-400 metres you can run multi-mode fibre.

If you want a full redundancy, you may want to consider running a 2-pair (or more) fibre runs.  Then you configure etherchannel with two links to the switch for redundancy and bandwidth.

Can't provide more details unless you furnish more.

Thanks for your quick reply,

The two servers will be running a specific sensitive application, we want  to make sure that if the primary is down for any reason, the other will handle,

Could you pls clarify more about the etherchannel configuration? is it between two switches or can be between two servers? i.e. what is the minumum requirements to implement such confirmation?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094953.shtml

Thanks

M

The two servers will be running a specific sensitive application, we want  to make sure that if the primary is down for any reason, the other will handle,

Please do not tell me your servers will be linked to each other without any switches.

What's your budget? 

I know it has to be with switches, the question is how many as minumum, already we have infrastructure on 27th floor i.e switches, my question is, it has to be with minumum two switches at both ends to implement etherchannel configuration?

Thanks

it has to be with minumum two switches at both ends to implement etherchannel configuration?

If you want etherchannel then you can have two links to eight links to form a single etherchannel.

Otherwise, if you are confident of a single fibre optic link, then it's fine.

The situation is this:  Whether you want a single pair, two pair, three or four pair, labour cost is the same.  The material cost of getting a single, double, triple or quadruple pair core is different.

If you have the opportunity to lay down more in a single event, then it's cheaper than putting a single pair now and then getting another single pair later.

Will try to read more technically about the etherchannel settings and get back to you if any further info is required...

I think there is a problem in rating I was trying to rate it as very helpful but didn't work

Thanks anyway for everything

M

In that case, click "Answered".

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Thanks Mohamed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card