Helpful
Replies

Load Balance issue with two links on HSRP

ksk391393
Level 1
Level 1

hi ,

I have a Query on OSPF .

i am running  two P2P links between two sites with two Cisco 4506E switches running with HSRP at both ends . both P2P links  with same bandwidth from Different ISP. is it possible to Load balance for this Two links .

please help me on this or suggest in case if you have any other choice .

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kadimi,

if you have client vlans directly connected at both ends you could use GLBP instead of HSRP this would provide a way to use both P2P links.

with HSRP only one device acts as the default gateway for a client vlan and as a result of this only one P2P link is used per direction.

Another possible option if you have multiple client Vlans on each side you could make HSRP active router to be different for each client Vlan and you would get both P2P links used per direction with a load sharing per client IP subnet.

It is not something you can solve only by playing with OSPF metrics but you need to take in account the end to end traffic flows that involve the HSRP or other FHRP protocol.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi Giuseppe,

if i use  HSRP & GLBP in a single swith will it give any impact on CPU  usage .

here i have only one Vlan is communicating with my DR site from switch#1 as active router .

please suggest if i change my both 10mb ethernet links of both ISP's to a single switch can i have chance of load balance with OSPF ?

Just curious how about EIGRP instead of OSPF in such a scenario, if he had EIGRP running wouldn't it do load sharing by default and he could also play with the settings to fine tune it for his needs...?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card