cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing Nexus Switches

tecra810076
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to understand what load balancing method is used on a port channel on a Nexus switch . I have a server connected by a VPC to two Nexus switches. The nexus switches are only acting as layer 2 switches. I have a 6509 connected via a upstream link that does all of the routing for my VLANS. If  have a server connected to the Nexus switches and it talks to a server on my 6509 what load balancing happens on the Nexus going across VPC 27 which is a layer 2 trunk going up to my 6509. Is it done on layer 2 or layer 3 flows?

My Nexus shows the default load balancing configurations

Port Channel Load-Balancing Configuration:
System: source-dest-ip

Port Channel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:
Non-IP: source-dest-mac
IP: source-dest-ip source-dest-mac

Thanks For the Help

I have attached a simple diagram to help in the explanation

4 Replies 4

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

Is the link between the 1st Nexus and the 6500 a port-channel (and between the 2nd Nexus and 6500, of course)? If not, the load-balancing is the 6500's and the server's decision.

tecra810076
Level 1
Level 1

Between the 6509 and the Nexus switchet there is a port channel. There is a VPC created on the Nesus switches.

Thanks

The easiest way to check this is by entering the following command:

show port-channel load-balance forwarding-path interface port-channel

First, try it with server for src ip, client in VLAN 300 for dst ip, server for src-mac and Cat6.5k for dst-mac. Then you can check if changing the dst-ip will change the used interface too.

Thanks for the information. It helped

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card