Views
Helpful
Replies

Loading a 24 port config onto a 48 port switch

CMax
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a spare standby switch for a clients old Cisco network. 

The core is as follows:

1x WS-C3750E-24TD-S

1x WS-C3750E-48TD-S

I wish to purchase 1x 48TD-S (same ver IOS) as a standby replacement should either the 24 or 48 port die.

I mainly use the Cisco Network Assistant GUI, as my cli is not great. 

If the 24 port switch dies, should it easy enough to upload the config onto the replacement 48 port switch?

Would this require a lot of cli knowledge to get the 48 port switch to replace the 24 port switch?

Thank you for any advice or pointers

Craig 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the only difference is the interface numbering, everything else is the same. I would actually go ahead and preconfigure the standby switch with all the copied commands from the 24 port switch, so in case of failure, all you need to do is switch the cables...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

the only difference is the interface numbering, everything else is the same. I would actually go ahead and preconfigure the standby switch with all the copied commands from the 24 port switch, so in case of failure, all you need to do is switch the cables...

Hello

Probably no need to even copy any config, if the exiting core stacked it would only a matter of maybe of renumbering/prioritizing the replacement switch?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Stacking the switches together may be the easier solution for you as mentioned by @paul driver , keep in mind that both switches must be running the same features. e.g IP Base on both. 

However if you decide to go the manual route of configuring the device from the CLI the process is pretty simple.

Console to your present switch and do the  sh run  command, the configuration will be listed simply copy the info to a notepad and transfer to your new switch.

***Remember to Rate All Helpful Posts***

P.Williams

". . . keep in mind that both switches must be running the same features. e.g IP Base on both. "

"must" is not actually true on the 3750 series (to stack them), but it's a very good suggestion (also recommended [also not always required] they have the same IOS version too).

BTW, on the subject of stacking, you might also consider stacking all three 3750s. This way, even if a stack member fails, your percentage of lost ports would be less. Further, if devices like servers support bonded links, it may be possible to have a server connected to multiple stack members, so loss of one stack member wouldn't drop the server. Lastly, if you use VLANs, and if you have "extra" VLAN (for the same VLAN) ports on all three switches, you would only need to reconnect a host, to another switch, to bring it back on-line. I.e. downtime in minutes, and without needing any device reconfiguration (or insuring your cold spare's configuration is still "current").

CMax
Level 1
Level 1

I'm really impressed with all the quick and knowledgeable replies. All post have educated me and can be used, I wish I could mark them all as Solutions.

Below is a simplified example of the network:

(Server Room)

WS-C3750E-24TD-S 

<10Gb fibre>

(Office)

WS-C3750E-48TD-S

[Stack]

WS-C3750G-12S-E

<1Gb fibres to edge switches>

From the helpful posts I would think keeping a copy of the configs in case the stack does auto populate the replacement switch.

Thank you all kindly

Hello

@CMax wrote:

I'm really impressed with all the quick and knowledgeable replies. All post have educated me and can be used, I wish I could mark them all as Solutions.

Below is a simplified example of the network:

(Server Room)

WS-C3750E-24TD-S 

<10Gb fibre>

(Office)

WS-C3750E-48TD-S

[Stack]

WS-C3750G-12S-E

<1Gb fibres to edge switches>

From the helpful posts I would think keeping a copy of the configs in case the stack does auto populate the replacement switch.

Thank you all kindly

Just like to say for the stack if you lose the physical switch the configuration isnt lost as it provisioned to the stack not the switch.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card