cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local switch ARP table question/issue

BryanPMiller
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch that is strictly layer 2 with directly connected hosts (dhcp for ip assignments) and a printer (no print server on domain) that is static assigned on the same subnet as the hosts using dhcp (reservation in dhcp for the printer).  The only SVI on this switch in the managed ip address.

I can ping the printer locally from the switch or any other switch on the LAN. 

When I do a "sh arp", the printer ip address is not in the table.  Why would this happen?  Timers flushing the table? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bryan,

Accurate thoughts?

Quite so. You should see the printer's MAC address in your MAC address table. However, because it is not on the same subnet with your SVI, it should not pop up in your ARP table. Rather, your ARP table should contain the IP/MAC mapping of your default gateway because that is the next hop towards the printer.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

BryanPMiller
Level 1
Level 1

Now that I think about it....I would NOT see the ip of the printer because there is no layer 3 routing on it and the SVI locally is not on the same subnet as the printer.

It is in the mac address-table which it should be.

Accurate thoughts?

Hi Bryan,

Accurate thoughts?

Quite so. You should see the printer's MAC address in your MAC address table. However, because it is not on the same subnet with your SVI, it should not pop up in your ARP table. Rather, your ARP table should contain the IP/MAC mapping of your default gateway because that is the next hop towards the printer.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter for taking the time to answer my tthread!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: