Helpful
Replies

local vlan and distributed vlan

hanwucisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am tring to understand this statement,

"local vlan leverages on stp, distributed vlan leverages on switching."

How so? I think the opposite would be more right.

thanks,

han

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you provide the context from which this statement was taken ?

Jon

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think Local VLANS leverages on STP and switching both as they are locally significant. And Distributed VLANs leverages on routing.

cheers

Sweta

Please rate the content if it was helpful.

Consider this diagram for local vlans, since local vlans are implemented only in one switch, it does not have any significance for other access switch. Thats is why leverages on routing becaus it need another equipement between to route packets from one acess sw to another. (DSW1 is peforming routing functions)

ASW1----------------------DSW1-----------------------ASW2

VLAN1                  SVI1/SVI2                     VLAN2

Distributed vlans use more switching technique since trafic must passed over some switches to reach a destination.

(DSW1 is peforming switching functions)

ASW1--------------------DSW1------------------------ASW1

VLAN1                    VLAN1                       VLAN1

I hope this can help U, cheers.

Local VLANs

-20/80 rules, becouse must of ur applications are in another subnet so  20% of ur traffic is local and 80% of ur traffic is remote

-Leverages on routing, traffic passes from one subnet to an other

-Locally significant, a vlan number never cross beyond the distribution switch.

-Leverages on spanning-tree (vtp is no necessary since u will be  configuring the access and distribution switch with the same vlan at  must).

End to End VLANs

-80/20 rules, example u are connecting 2 sans from different buildings  and must see each other in the same vlan and expect to have 80% of  traffic local

-Leverages on switching, traffic passes from one switch to another in the same broadcast domain

-Globally significant, vlan traffic passes over multiple trunks and vlan propagates among multiple switches

-Leverages on VTP, its a requisite to avoid configuring vlans among mutiple switches.

hi amigosdemaurilio ,

how come local vlan leverages on STP and Routing (L2 and L3) ???

Dumitru Otel
Level 1
Level 1

the question is: why local vlan leverages on stp ?

In local vlan desing may be used only L3 links between switches !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card