Views
Helpful
Replies

logging DHCP to Syslog

dcarr3311
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have several layer 3 switches that are acting as DHCP servers. How can I easily log DHCP user information to our syslog server? I've seen some posts about using Debug. I don't think that's going to scale for my needs.

thanks

Dan

3 Replies 3

AllertGen
Level 3
Level 3

As i know there is no casual logging for DHCP. You can use only debug for it or SNMP. So if you can't use debug, you can try log it via SNMP. There is a lot of open source solutions for SNMP like Zabbix.

Ziga M
Level 1
Level 1

check ip dhcp database command. AFAIK it's used to store dhcp informations to remote hosts (via ftp for example, not syslog)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/fipr_c/1cfdhcp.html#wp1018925

Yes, but I believe it is only used to store information on statically assigned DHCP bindings. So it is really useful if you wish to manually assign IPs and keep a backup of the exact bindings (IP to MAC-Address), but it wouldn't be useful for automatically assigned IPs. 

A form of syslog would be useful for record-keeping if it only retained the info that the DHCP database does.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card