Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging Hostname Error

PolarPanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I want to send syslog of stack switch to syslog server, so I excuted command "logging server hostname". Here is error message I got: %ERROR: Standby doesn't support this command. I'm able to ping the hostname. Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem? Thank you!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @PolarPanda ,

The command must be entered on the active switch.
Can you verify this?

logging server hostname

or

logging host server hostname

I think the error message tells you this:

%ERROR: Standby doesn't support this command

Regards

View solution in original post

Hi @PolarPanda ,

Apparently, it's not like that:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#60650

Connectivity to the Switch Stack Through an IP Address

The switch stack is managed through a single IP address. The IP address is a system-level setting and is not specific to the stack master or to any other stack member. 

I suggest, if possible, connect via console cable to the active switch and try the mentioned commands.

Regards

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you give us more information what is this device.

can you post

show verison

show switch

need to check where you are issue this command is standby, to confirm we need to know the above details.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Here is the info:

Show version: Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.03.03SE RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2). 

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 56 WS-C3850-48P 03.03.03SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL
2 56 WS-C3850-48P 03.03.03SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL
3 56 WS-C3850-48P 03.03.03SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL

Show switch

H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active 00e1.6d08.5100 15 M0 Ready
2 Standby 6cfa.8934.ff00 14 M0 Ready
3 Member 6cfa.8968.9d00 12 M0 Ready

I didn't copy all the result of show version. Please let me know what else do you want to see.

we have many 3850 running with below command :

logging host 10.10.10.10  <-- this is syslog server IP

make sure you are logging using SSH right ? (not on the console - if the console are you sure this is connected to Active switch - master in the stack)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

yes, i used SSH. I have no problem to type in ip address like you showed me, but I have error message when typing in hostname. 

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thank you Luis. I did try the command earlier, but I still have the same result. 

Hi @PolarPanda ,

The command must be entered on the active switch.
Can you verify this?

logging server hostname

or

logging host server hostname

I think the error message tells you this:

%ERROR: Standby doesn't support this command

Regards

Hi Luis,

I believe I connect to the active switch. Correct me if I'm wrong. I ssh in the switch with a ip address in management vlan. The only interface management vlan configured is active switch interface.  

Hi @PolarPanda ,

Apparently, it's not like that:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#60650

Connectivity to the Switch Stack Through an IP Address

The switch stack is managed through a single IP address. The IP address is a system-level setting and is not specific to the stack master or to any other stack member. 

I suggest, if possible, connect via console cable to the active switch and try the mentioned commands.

Regards

Thank you Luis! I think I will stay with entering ip address instead of hostname since I have lots of more switches in different locations. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card