cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac address tables filling up on end switches

AndiMorris
Level 1
Level 1

We have an odd problem on our network where our mac-address tables on our endpoint switches are filling up very quickly. At first I thought it could be mac-flooding, and started to investigate which part of the network this could be coming from, however when looking at the mac-address-table count for each vlan I'm seeing quite an even spread of macs in each vlan, no obvious spiked anywhere. Another curious thing is that vlans that have only ever had 3 devices (2 servers, and the vlan interface) in are showing a much higher mac-address count than they should.

Is it possible that this is something is looping somewhere?

This is an example snippet from one of the endpoint 2960 switches. We have a mixture of 2950 and 2960s, and a 6509 core switch.

2960switch#sh mac-address-table count

Mac Entries for Vlan 1:

---------------------------

Dynamic Address Count  : 271

Static  Address Count  : 0

Total Mac Addresses    : 271

Mac Entries for Vlan 700:

Dynamic Address Count  : 262

Total Mac Addresses    : 262

Mac Entries for Vlan 703:

Dynamic Address Count  : 264

Total Mac Addresses    : 264

Mac Entries for Vlan 704:

Dynamic Address Count  : 265

Total Mac Addresses    : 265

Mac Entries for Vlan 705:

Dynamic Address Count  : 260

Total Mac Addresses    : 260

This continues across all the vlans, of which there are 50. Vlan705 for example is one where there have never been more than 3 mac addresses on that segment.

I can provide configs from the core.

18 Replies 18

It's a wireless contoller.

Andi

How exactly have you configured the bridge group ?

It sounds like what you have done is bridged all the vlans together. If you have then that is why you are seeing all the mac  addresses in all vlans. I'm not familiar with the WLC but i wouldn't have thought that is what you want to do. If you have redundant connections in your network this could create potential STP problems.

Jon

Yes, all of our vlans are in the same bridge group. I don't know why it's like this, perhaps something from a legacy setup. I've now removed a few vlans from the group with no obvious degradation in service, so I'll continue to remove the vlans out of the group.

Removing the vlans from the bridge group has resolved this.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card