Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC flapping for HSRP MAC address

engineer_msu
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I am facing a problem with HSRP MAC Flap.

I have two routers in HSRP working perfectly. When I am trying to add the third router to the same HSRP group I am facing HSRP MAC Flap and the other two routers also getting disturbed.

I have attached the connectivity design and configuration of the HSRP interfaces. Kindly help to understand and isolate the problem.

1y5w: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13, changed state to up
1y5w: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13, changed state to up
1y5w: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 0000.0c9f.f001 in vlan 100 is flapping between port Gi1/0/13 and port Gi2/0/10
1y5w: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 0000.0c9f.f002 in vlan 200 is flapping between port Gi1/0/13 and port Gi1/0/10
1y5w: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13, changed state to down
1y5w: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13, changed state to down

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

it looks like the new router is not able to listen to the HSRP messages sent by the current Active in each group.

First check that the switch port Gi1/0/13 is configured as a trunk allowing Vlans 100,200 check also native vlan settings.

Verify the HSRP activity with

terminal monitor

debug standby

look in new router if it receives HSRP messages from the other devices.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello,

in addition to the other post, what is connected to interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13 ? It looks like there is some sort of loop in your topology...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card