Views
Helpful
Replies

Making SG300-10P ports 'unmanaged'

andy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help. I think I have a fairly simple request in that I want to be able to make two ports on my SG300-10P unmanaged, effectively turning them into a bridge.

I currently have Port 1 connected to an IPTV box, 2-9 connected to local network and Port 10 connected to the IPTV Provider. I essentially want to route traffic between ports 1 and 10 without any management.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Andy

8 Replies 8

Hello Andy,

You may overcome this issue by configuring switchports as trunk with a single allowed VLAN (RSPAN VLAN) which is also configured as native:

vtp mode transparent
!
vlan 555
 remote-span
!
interface range Fa 0/1 - 3
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 555
 switchport trunk native vlan 555

This configuration is applicable to any switch that supports RSPAN functionality. Specifically, it was verified on Catalyst 3550 series.

Hope it will helpful for you.

Kazim abbas

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I only have limited knowledge on these switches and have GUI access. Do you know how to do this via the GUI interface? Thanks, Andy

Hello,

It is already acting like a bridge. If you do not change any configuration, the both ports are in VLAN 1 and can communicate directly. Do you have any especial needs?

Masoud

Hi, I would have thought that too but the IPTV won't start up with only ports 1 and 10 connected. Works fine with a dumb switch.

i also need to keep the ports separate from the data network.

Thanks!

I guess your service provider uses some VLANs to communicate with the box. Do they have any instruction? You may need to make the port trunk and allow some VLANs. It is just a guess. You need to get more information from your service provider.

Masoud

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Andy

The terms 'managed' and 'unmanaged' refer to the switch itself, not the ports as such. An unmanaged switch is one that does not have an IP address and cannot be configured, i.e all ports are access ports and they are all in the same broadcast domain. Managed switches allow you to configure an IP address on the switch and configure ports to be access/trunk and create vlans etc.

Effectively you need to put port 1 and port 10 in the same Vlan, this will give them the ability to communicate with each other at layer 2, i.e the device plugged into port 1 will be able to send frames to the device plugged into port 10 as long as both devices are on the same subnet.

The host plugged into port 1 needs to have an IP address and subnet mask and these need to be in the same range as whatever is plugged into host 10. Out of interest, what actual device is plugged into port 10? Is it a pc/server? A switch? A Router?

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for the reply...

I understand the terms relate to the switch however I was trying to put in simple terms what I want to achieve. Port 1 is connected to an IPTV set top box and Port 10 is connected to the ISP ethernet connection on the wall.

I tried to put the 2 ports on VLAN 2-10 and set them as 'Untagged'. I did seem to get blinks at the same intervals but the IPTV box won't initialise.

It may be that the ISP requires me to have the ports on a certain VLAN with either tagged or untagged traffic but unfortunately, I don't have access to that information.

Basically, all I am after is that any traffic that arrives at Port 10 is automatically forwarded to Port 1. It really is that simple...

Thanks!

Andy

Are you using private address ranges for the IPTV box?

Is the ISP doing NAT for you?

It depends on the provider to be honest, you need to understand what sort of connection they are giving you before you can move forward. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card