cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managed Switch and Router for Home use

FSoto
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently studying for the CCNA exam and have a small lab built with two 3750 switches and three 2851 routers. I want to add another used router and switch. What would be a good model router capable of handling at least 200mb from my cable modem with all the bells and whistles running?  My budget for both router and switch is $800 dollars.  The switch preferred gigabit ports. 

Thanks,

Ferdinand

Ferdinand

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here are your smallest options on models that still have modern software being developed for them and support current features, all of which are significantly more than $800:

- Cisco 4331

- Cisco 3925E

- Possibly Cisco 1111-08, new to me and don't know much about it

If you do care about noise level and most current feature sets, you can get a used Cisco 7200VXR with NPE-G2 and VSA module.  It is end-of-life and end-of-support, so wouldn't use this in production.   You can find one with all of those components for under $500, but be prepared for serious noise... 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi,

You could verify with the models 2921 or +

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately that router does not meet my requirements. The wan circuit speed is rated at 50 Mbps per the Cisco Integrated Services Routers—Performance Overview. I need 200 Mbs minimum. I found a similar post to mine and a recommendation was the  ASR1002. It is a little more expensive than what I want to spend, however if I sell my current router and switch then I could buy it. Is there another router that would be a little cheaper than the ASR that can handle wan throughput of 200mb?

Thanks for the help. 

Here are your smallest options on models that still have modern software being developed for them and support current features, all of which are significantly more than $800:

- Cisco 4331

- Cisco 3925E

- Possibly Cisco 1111-08, new to me and don't know much about it

If you do care about noise level and most current feature sets, you can get a used Cisco 7200VXR with NPE-G2 and VSA module.  It is end-of-life and end-of-support, so wouldn't use this in production.   You can find one with all of those components for under $500, but be prepared for serious noise... 

Thanks for the suggestions, the 4331 looks like a winner.

It is a great router family.  I use many in production environments.  Make sure it is less than 2 years old when you get one.  There was a clock defect that caused an lockup that you never recover from.  Newer models replaced the defective hardware component:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/642/fn64253.html

200 Mbps total, or 200 Mbps duplex (400 Mbps)?

An issue with any 4K ISR, their performance is capped (which does make it easy to select one for supporting a specific amount of bandwidth).

For the prior 2K and 3K ISRs, their performance depends on your traffic mix and your configuration.  Cisco recommendations almost always provide the recommended bandwidth throughput, but often those ISRs will provide more throughput than the recommendation.

I've attached a Cisco whitepaper that explains 2K and 3K ISR performance under different conditions.

Thanks for the replies and information.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card