Views
Helpful
Replies

Management vlans

Michel_VZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Consider im having the following network setup as illustrated in the picture.

Network.PNG

What would be the best way to configure management vlans for use with telnet? Do i need to assign an ip address to the different management vlans within the range of a existing vlan or how exactly does this work. I want all the switches and the router to be accessible. And is it

necessary to always assign switch ports to the management vlan?

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, it is always best practice to define a vlan just for management of the devices.  You would need to create it in each switch with an SVI.

example:

ALS-1

vlan 100

ip address 10.10.100.1 255,255,255.0

ALS-2

vlan 100

ip address 10.10.100.2 255,255,255.0

DLS-1

vlan 100

ip address 10.10.100.3 255,255,255.0

and also a sub-interface on the router just like any other vlan.

you also need to add vlan 100 to all your trunks.

this will enable you to use the mgmt ip address for telnet, ssh, etc.. access

Note:you do not need to assign any switch port to mgmt  vlan 100.  When it is added to the trunk, the vlan will go to up and up mode

BTW, don't use vlan 1 for data or management.  it is best practice to shut down vlan 1

HTH

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

First of all you do not use telnet if you do not absolutely have no other option.

You use SSH instead of telnet.

Resa is right but i would like to fill in some more.

If the units are close enough (within 100m) you can setup a serial network with a computer/serial ethernet/serial USB converter that lets you control all the different units without having to pass the controltraffic over the network.

Good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: