Views
Helpful
Replies

managment ip for cat 6500

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I would like to use the uplink port on my cat 6500's as like an out of band management port, what is best practice for this? would it be to assign an ip address to the interface itself ?

cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

carl_townshend wrote:

Hi all

I would like to use the uplink port on my cat 6500's as like an out of band management port, what is best practice for this? would it be to assign an ip address to the interface itself ?

cheers

Carl,

If you want to have an out of band management port, it can not be your uplink port.  So, since the 6500 switches do not come with out of band port, you need to pick a physical port from the sup or from a module and make it you out of band port.  If you need an in band managment than that is just another vlan and will be added to you uplinks.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

carl_townshend wrote:

Hi all

cheers

Carl,

If you want to have an out of band management port, it can not be your uplink port.  So, since the 6500 switches do not come with out of band port, you need to pick a physical port from the sup or from a module and make it you out of band port.  If you need an in band managment than that is just another vlan and will be added to you uplinks.

HTH

Reza

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

For the 4006, Sup 1 and Sup2, you can configure the me1 for your out of band ethernet management.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007d3e8.html
For the 4006 sup3 and 4507 sup4, there is no out of band ethernet managment option. The me1 is only active in rommon.

The Ethernet management port (me1) is used (in ROMMON mode only) to recover a switch software image that has been corrupted or destroyed due to a network catastrophe. This port is not active while the switch is operating normally.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/inst_nts/78_13686.htm#32993
For the sup720, there is no out of band ethernet management option.

Regards,

Varun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card