Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum distance between chassis

As if I didn’t have enough to do, I got handed another great management "what if” scenario…

“What if there was a fire or a flood that affected the network core or a specific distribution layer?”

On a large campus with several buildings, I am looking at separating several chassis between two buildings. That got me wondering about how far I could separate any paired chassis without causing an issue.  All of the chassis connect at 10GE and all of the fiber is single mode. Since it is a campus, I am not worried about exceeding the distance limitations of 10GE over single mode fiber. The X2-10GB-LR and SFP-10G-LR have a maximum cable distance of 10km. Without an OTDR it is hard to guess the actual distance, but I would estimate less than 1000 meters hopefully. I would get the fiber measured before I actually went down this path.

The first chassis pair would be a 6500s running as a typical VSS cluster.  Are there any issues with the Virtual switch link (VSL) or the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) link going 1000 meters? All I could find on distances was a note that said: “Maximum VSL distance depends on X2 optics used for VSL 10 Gigabit Ethernet connections.”  The majority of connections to the VSS cluster are L3 links from various building distribution layer switches.  I do not see an issue as these are all independent L3 links not ehter-channels.  But there are also a few L2 Access Layer switches that are dual connected (MEC) to the VSS cluster, would there be any issues (timing or otherwise) on the ether-channel? Obviously one leg in the channel-group would be a greater distance than the other leg.

The second chassis pair would be newer Nexus 7000s. These have the vPC peer-links and the vPC peer-keepalive links between them and have several L2 only Nexus 5500 pairs redundantly attached to them using Virtual Port Channels (vPC).  I haven’t been able to find anything that states a distance limitation to the vPC peer-links or peer-keepalive links or for things connected via a vPC. Here again the Nexus 5500s would have some of the ports in the vPC that were a lot longer than others.

Since the Nexus 5500s are all in the primary datacenter building, I probably wouldn’t split them up between buildings. I would prefer just to split the Nexus 7000s and install additional 5500s in the second building to support redundant servers located there.

Just wondering if I am missing something here on the distances that would cause issues down the road.

Anyone ever done this? Pros & Cons?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have done both 6500 VSS and 7000 with PVC. You are on the right path.  There is no distance limitation for either VSS or VPC, as long as you are using the correct optics with single mode fiber.  As you are already aware, the 6500 use X2 optics for 10Gig (single mode or multi-mode) and the 7K use SFP+.  Since most new 10Gig optics are SFP+ these days, It is probably easier to make all your patch panels LC, and then use the right patch cord to connect from each switch to the patch panel.

to connect 6500s to the PP SC to LC

to connect 2ks, 5ks and 7ks to the PP LC to LC.

HTH

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

Michael,

I do not have any experience with separating out N7K's, so I really have no comments there.

Per the VSS Q&A I think you may have read (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.htm) - the maximum distance of the VSL is really just the distance of the 10G optic type you are using.  With the distances you are talking about, the LR optics would be fine.  While I do not have hands-on experience with a VSS pair split over several km (yet), I have heard of others who have done it without issue.

Regarding pro's and con's of a large split like this -- sometimes, even in a campus environment, it is difficult to find diverse paths when you are going longer distances like that.  So I would just recommend planning out your paths and methods of dual-active detection to make sure your risks of split-braining the VSS are not increasing significantly by splitting them across campus.

Good luck, and if you do end up moving out of the hypotheticals to actually do it, please let us all know your experience!

Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card