Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of switches in IE4000 REP ring

NinjaPirate
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

It is my understanding there is no hard limit for maximum number of switches in a REP ring, however just wondering how many switches  in real world experience anybody seen/built working in a single REP segment without any issues?

Application is simple, I am thinking multiple 1Gbps fiber connected IE4000 as REP segment nodes + 2x IE5010 in HSRP as the REP edge nodes. I will have a couple of VLANs on the ring - REP administrative VLAN plus single VLAN with a couple of devices attached to each switch, hence mac address table will comprise of these two device and switches' management interface.

Also read from other posts people used up to 100 switches, however on a different IE3000 platform so wondering if this applicable to IE4000 platform as well.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

NinjaPirate
Level 1
Level 1
Anybody?

hansvanderspek
Level 1
Level 1

We have a network operational with only 5 IE5k nodes in a REP ring but want to extend to 50+. We want to use this for delivering connectivity near railway tracks with safety related use cases.

We think that it’s going to work within the specs but it’s not certain that Cisco will support this setup.

Do you have any experience with large rep ring networks?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card