Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDI on newer switches

Hi,

Are there any advantages to still using crossover cables between newer switches which support mdix auto?

Thanks,

Carlos

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. If you want to hard code the duplex and speed, you will need to use crossover cable. Hence, hard code duplex and speed will turn off auto MDIX.

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

insomniacgames_nc wrote:

is it best practices to hard code speed and duplex on

switch to switch ports to eliminate potential problems in auto-negotiation?

Thanks,

Carlos

Not necessarily. Gigabit is often best left to auto-negotiate. 10/100 interconnects in the past i have tended to hardcode speed/duplex. But obviously if you are using mdix you can't anyway.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. If you want to hard code the duplex and speed, you will need to use crossover cable. Hence, hard code duplex and speed will turn off auto MDIX.

HTH,

jerry

Thanks,

Carlos

insomniacgames_nc wrote:

Thanks,

Carlos

Not necessarily. Gigabit is often best left to auto-negotiate. 10/100 interconnects in the past i have tended to hardcode speed/duplex. But obviously if you are using mdix you can't anyway.

Jon

I personally do not use MDI and use crossover patches anyway since they will work on any switch. I also color code them so it's easier to find problems when a trunk goes down.

I was just curious if MDI is best to stay away from if given the choice.

Thanks

Carlos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco