Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki AP wont connect to Meraki dashboard / Mac address not on catalyst switch

mikep83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have connected up and patched in a Meraki MR33 access point and it powers up fine. However when i give it a static IP, add it to Windows Network policy access server for Radius, it will not connect to the Meraki dashboard.

What is weird is that the Cisco catalyst 2960 that the AP connects to, doesnt show it in the list when i run a "Show mac address-table." in fact, the port it is connected into doesnt show in the list either ( Gi1/0/19).

so why does it get power over ethernet and connect fine then? Is there something i am missing?

The port is set as a trunk and set to allow all VLANs.

There is an existing Meraki AP connected to the same switch and this shows its mac address fine and works fine. The two ports seem exactly the same when i compare them side by side.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My personal guess is the static configuration is not correct.  Are the DNS servers, subnet mask and default gateway definately correct?

What error does the local status page say?

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Meraki_Device_Local_Status_Page

Hello

To give it a static the WAP to be seen in the dashborad in the first place does it not, So i am assuming its still in the dashborad but you cannot connect to it?

So has Philip stated have you applied the correct addressing to it, (ip-subnet mask-Deafult-gateway) and is the ap tagged to the correct vlan etc..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The config is correct. The gateway, DNS and VLAN all match the existing Meraki AP.

The key point is that the AP is not registering it's MAC address on the Catalyst switch and I think regardless of config shouldnt it be doing this? 

I think the port on the Catalyst switch may be suspect so i plan to change the port the AP is plugged into.

is there anything else other than the IP details of the Meraki AP, that i should be checking? Do i need to add some kind of port fast spanning tree or an IP helper etc? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card