cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki MS virtual stack and layer 3 question

Dave4692312
Level 1
Level 1

Just getting started with Virtual Stack and Layer 3.

I have two MX100, in HA pair mode.

I have two MX350-24X switches in Layer 3 mode

The MX has DHCP on VLAN1 to provide MGMT IP to the switches.  I am blocking all DHCP on the Layer3 switches since I want to run Layer3/DHCP from the switches (and so DHCP from the MX doesn't hit the LAN)

I then have a switch stack with a Layer3 interface (VLAN2) to communicate the stack and the MX.

Running DHCP on VLAN1on the Layer3 stack to provide MGMT IP to my (non-Meraki) WAPs, and then VLAN10 for my wireless clients.

I then have a static route on the MX pointing to the Layer3 stack for the MGMT IP network on the LAN (10.6.0.0/24).  I also have this on VPN

I can see the WAP getting DHCP on VLAN1. I can ping the Layer3 stack gateway IP (10.6.0.1).

My issues:

1) I can ping the way from the switch, but cannot ping it from the MX. I can also ping the layer3 over VPN, but cannot ping the wap over vpn

2) At some point during this configuration test, my switches are now alerting: "This switch is not connected to a stack"

3) It also appears that the WAP is not getting out to the MX WAN as I am not seeing any requests to join my controller hosted elsewhere.

Any ideas on a good place to start?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dave4692312
Level 1
Level 1

I found the issue with stacking.  There was some confusion with what 'virtual stacking' is and is not (it's not stacking at all).  Issue resolved.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Dave4692312
Level 1
Level 1

I found the issue with stacking.  There was some confusion with what 'virtual stacking' is and is not (it's not stacking at all).  Issue resolved.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card