cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki Switches and TACACS ACS Server?

cybrsage
Level 1
Level 1

I am evaluating some Meraki Switches for a client and wonder if there is any documentation on how to setup the Meraki Switches to use the existing Cisco TACACS ACS servers we already have for authentication?  We have hundreds of switches and routers already deployed and they all use TACACS for access.

Any ideas?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

https://documentation.meraki.com/

It actually looks like meraki doesn't support TACACS. What are you needing to do with TACACS? You can use AD. 

View solution in original post

Well understand that you are not logging into the actually switch, you are accessing a single pane of glass with the meraki dashboard, so that login would be AD integrated, and you don't have to log in again. And normally for 802.1x people are going to use RADIUS due to Microsoft windows machines. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Are your meraki switches internal the tacacs servers? Or are they behind a MX at a site while running SD-WAN? I had some issues with the SD-WAN scenario since I had packet capture what IP the request was coming from at the remote site. Otherwise if they are internal, its pretty straight forward, check out the meraki documentation. 

I can't find documentation, do you have a link to it?

But yes, they are behind a standard Cisco router, or will be.

https://documentation.meraki.com/

It actually looks like meraki doesn't support TACACS. What are you needing to do with TACACS? You can use AD. 

I want to make it as homogeneous as possible. I don't want to have two different systems I need to control for login to one network.

It just seems strange to me that networking equipment would not support TACACS, especially equipment sold by Cisco. TACACS has been a staple for a very long time.

Thank you for the information.

Well understand that you are not logging into the actually switch, you are accessing a single pane of glass with the meraki dashboard, so that login would be AD integrated, and you don't have to log in again. And normally for 802.1x people are going to use RADIUS due to Microsoft windows machines. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: