Views
Helpful
Replies

MGMT0 connecting across the switches

kishore.rajani
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have two C2960 switches which have the management VLAN for other switches. These two switches are connected with each other via portchannel.

Now the mgmt0 of few switches is connected to switch 1 and few other connect to switch 2.

I have also connected the mgmt0 of switch 1 to an access port of switch 2 and vice versa.

However in this set-up I am unable to reach switch1 via the mgmt0 IP address. However I can reach the mgmt0 Ip address of switch 2.

I can also reach switch 1 and 2 via their int vlan IP.

Has some one else experienced this and is their any specific reason why mgmt 0 IP address of switch 1 is not reachable.

I have tried doing similar set-up on C3750, but have acheived same result i.e. I am unable to reach mgmt0 of switch 1.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kishore

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On mgmt switch-1, is the mgmt interface up ?

Are these 2 switches the same model and running the same version of IOS?

Hi Reza,

Yes, in both the scenarios the switch model and the IOS were same.

Regards,

Kishore

some new development:

initially i was pinging from the server (connected to switch1) which was in same vlan as mgmt 0 port.

however when i tried to ping from a l3 switch which is also connected to swich1, it worked and i am able to ping both L2 switches 1 and 2.

i can conclude from this - if you try to ping the mgmt0 IP from the switch itself - it wont ping, even if you have a svi configure for both mgmt0 and switch int vlan on L3. dont know whether this is a feature or bug?

I really doubt if mgmt0 IP from the switch itself should not work..

if the mgmt0 interface is up/up you should be able to ping the mgmt0 ip as well.

-Vijay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco