Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft NLB multicast through nexus 9k layer 2 environment

neil_titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I have a requirement to setup MS NLB multicast on a network that has VSS 6509s at the core providing L3 interfaces which connects to two Nexus 9504 switches (layer 2) and then another two Nexus 93108TC switches (layer 2).  All inter switch links are VPCs and all nexus switches provide layer 2 switching only, no layer 3.

If I setup static ARP entries on each Vlan interface and static mac address entries pointing to multiple Port-channels (Multicast NLB) on the 6509 switches will this work for MS NLB?  Do I need to configure anything on any of the Nexus switches?  Will it work as I read that Nexus 9300 switches do not support MS NLB?

I have very limited knowledge of MS NLB so excuse me if I've made any basic errors in my understanding of MS NLB.

Cheers and thanks in advance :-)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the Nexus switches are layer-2 only than you need to configure NLB on the 6500 series.

Have a look this document on how to configure it on the Catalyst series switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/107995-configure-nlb-00.html

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the Nexus switches are layer-2 only than you need to configure NLB on the 6500 series.

Have a look this document on how to configure it on the Catalyst series switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/107995-configure-nlb-00.html

HTH

Thanks for the link and the advice I'll put it into practise in the next few weeks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card