cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft Surface Ethernet Adaptor Connection Problem

Richard Poon
Level 1
Level 1

We encounter a weird problem in that our Microsoft Surface tablets cannot connect to Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch ports with the USB Ethernet Adapter from the same vendor.  The port is connected, but cannot get IP address through DHCP.  The switch port also doesn't detect the adapter's MAC address either.

The port setting is very simple as follows:

switchport access vlan xxx
switchport mode access

There is no problem if it connects through docking station or with Ethernet adapter of other brand (such as TPLINK).  The same adapter can connect to Avaya switch on our network.  The model of the Microsoft Ethernet Adapter having problem is 1663.

Appreciate for any help or share if you experience the same problem.

Thanks

RPoon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

typically, you would add 'spanning-tree portfast' to an access port, in order for DHCP to work:

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

View solution in original post

Hello,

spanning tree portfast can actually be configured without any problems, as long as there is only a single link between devices. If there are no potential loops, there is no need for spanning tree anyway...

Without 'spanning-tree portfast' configured, it takes the port about 30-40 seconds to become active, some adapters don't like that and assume there is no DHCP server available. It is definitely adapter specific.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

typically, you would add 'spanning-tree portfast' to an access port, in order for DHCP to work:

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

Thanks a lot George. I intentionally not configuring spanning-tree on this port because it is connected to a 8-port local switch. When I set spanning-tree, I got an alert that I should not do that because it is a shared connection. Now it works after enabling spanning-tree..

Just a quick note.  The issue only affect one specific type of Ethernet adapter.  I am really interested to know what could cause that, as the tablet can still connect to the same port through the docking station without changing the port settings.

Hello,

spanning tree portfast can actually be configured without any problems, as long as there is only a single link between devices. If there are no potential loops, there is no need for spanning tree anyway...

Without 'spanning-tree portfast' configured, it takes the port about 30-40 seconds to become active, some adapters don't like that and assume there is no DHCP server available. It is definitely adapter specific.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card