cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration of Cisco 6800 IA to new Catalyst 9500/9300

DAVID
Level 3
Level 3

I am looking for anyone experience's with migrating from the Cisco 6807 chassis switches with the 6800IA switches to the new Cisco Catalyst 9500/9300 switches. Particularly interested in design guides, lessons learned, gotcha's and other useful information as we begin our design and information gathering process.

Our mandate is to keep the old and new up together as we migrate users and devices over to the 9300's and finally decommission the 6807 after all migration is complete.

The new 9500's and 9300's will also be incorporated into DNA Center during this migration

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have migrated some of old Cat 6500 / 38XX to Cat 9500 / 9300, not see any major changes, especially you deploying along with the existing device, it is easy to copy the config and paste into the new device and tweak and migrate devices.

The only thing we may need to understand when we moving to DNA some may not in the same manner as like a  like migration since DNA work in different architecture, 

how is your environment? Layer 2 or Layer 3? how many devices we are considering to migrate? or DNAC is Future (not now ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Here's my situation. I have two 6807's in a VSS mode connected to 3 6800ia switches per floor in  fexconnect for each floor. All together two 6807 chassis and 24 6800ia switches

We are replacing each switch in each floor one for one with 1 c9300-48UXM-A and 2 c9300-48U-A. We are replacing the 6807 chassis switches with two Cisco C9500-16X-A. This project was planned before COVID hit and sent everyone to work from home with me choosing to stay in the office. I am working with a Cisco partner but there will still be a lot on my side to do. What I am looking for a guidance on what pitfalls or a road map  since I will be doing most of the work myself that includes racking and stacking the switches to copying the configurations from the 6807 to testing and validation all the way to powering off and removing the old switches.

What I am doing is connecting the 9300 stack as a layer 2 switch back to the 6807.  I am replacing one 6800IA stack with a 9300 one at a time.  My question is whether the port configurations with respect to cisco voice and PC are the same from the 6800IA to the 9300's switchport?. Below is a port config from 6800IA.

6807 is running IOS adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.152-1.SY1a

9300/9500 IOS-XE 16.12.2

description 1st Floor - User VLAN
switchport
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 38
switchport voice vlan 400
ip access-group ACL-ALLOW in
snmp trap mac-notification change added
snmp trap mac-notification change removed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card