cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mode Conditioning Patch Cords for Multimode Fiber Gigabit Links around 1,000 Feet

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

Has anyone had good or bad luck using mode conditioning patch cords with 1000 LX SFP's and Gbic's over 62.5 multimode fiber optic cabling?  We have a location that only has 1,000 feet of Multimode Fiber optic cable to it and they are in need of Gigabit connectivity.  I know this is beyond the 700 ft limitation for 1000SX Optics and MMF, but the specs also show the possibility of using 1000 LX SFP's and Mode conditioning patch cords.

Has anyone had luck doing this (good or bad feedback helpful) or would it be best to just run new Single Mode Fiber optic cable to this location? 

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

This should work. I have a few MMF links using GLC-LH-SMD sfp and mode-conditioning patch cable running fine for years.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

This should work. I have a few MMF links using GLC-LH-SMD sfp and mode-conditioning patch cable running fine for years.

Thanks

John

Do you use one mode conditioning cable on each end of the link or just on one side of the link?  Also, is the offset on only one fiber or both the transmit and receive side?

Thanks,

Jim

Hello

I agree I have come across condtioning cabling on OM1 running over 700 meters -
If i remember it was on both ends of the connection

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

As stated by Paul, you need mode-conditioning cable on both ends of the link. The offset is on one of the fibres (Transmit Fibre), hence the need for mode cable at both ends.

Thanks

John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card