Views
Helpful
Replies

moving startup config from 3750 stack switch to 4500x switch

awadmohammad5
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I need to replace 3750 stack switches with 4500 x switch  i just need to take the backup of 3750 switch and paste paste it in 4500 x switch ? or do i need some modification ?

please advise.

Regards

ABM

Awad Mohammad
5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
no that wont work , config is generally same ios\ios-xe so all global config will take but the interface numbering will be different and you wont need stack config on a 4500 either , so you could transfer most of the config but the interfaces will need to be manually configured but you can use the range command

Thanks for your Reply, so i do need to remove Stack config before pasting it on 4500 X switch ? how can i do that
Awad Mohammad

You dont have to remove it but it wont take in the 45 when you copy and paste it in , if you post your 3750 config ill breaks it down what can be copied in globally

if you want to remove it , go to global config and remove the stack configuration with no command first

In addition to what Mark notes, QoS features, and its supporting configuration, is quite different between the two Catalyst switches, so if you're using QoS, you may need extensive reconfiguration for QoS. You may also find you cannot obtain exactly the same QoS results between the two switches.

Also, all else being equal, if the two switches are running "far" apart IOS versions, that too can impact the configuration commands used.

There's a good chance making a 4500X configuration to be like the 3750 configuration will require changes; the amount of changes depends on different factors. Fortunately, except for QoS, configuration changes are usually not too difficult to figure out. Also beware of possible changes in defaults for some of the commands (which also includes whether they appear or not in config, also by default).

As Mark also notes, the interface range command might make it easy to apply the same interface configuration to multiple interfaces (which will likely be numbered/identified differently between the two switches).

As other responses have pointed out it is not feasible to just directly copy the config from 3750 to 4500. You will need to make some modifications to the config file before inputting it to the 4500 (removing references to stacking, modifying interface naming/numbering, perhaps modifying qos configuration, modifying to account for syntax differences of the new OS, etc). To do that you will need to obtain a copy of the existing config, edit that copy to incorporate the changes, and insert the new config to the new switch. Options for obtaining a copy of the existing config include doing a show run and copy/paste the config into a text file, or using tftp/ftp to copy the running config to a server and making a copy of the config from the server. Options for inserting the new config to the 4500 include doing a copy/paste of the config text file to the 4500, placing the new config in the appropriate directory of the server and using tftp/ftp to copy the new config to the 4500.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card