cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSDP on NXOS and in general - PIM on loopback (source)

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I was just talking to my colleagues and we were thinking about the need for enabling PIM on the loopback used as source for MSDP connections (yes indeed we do need it for MSDP to work) but why? Do the loopbacks become a "transit path" for multicast traffic?

Thank you

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bilal

I haven't used MSDP before so is your question specifically about that or a more general one about enabling PIM on the loopback interface you use as the RP address ?

Jon

Hi Jon, yes the question is specifically around MSDP, the source loopback is a separate one, from the one used for RP.

Bilal

EDIT: Im just having a read of this - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/multicast/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Multicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Multicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0101.pdf

I think I need to read it couple of times to understand, but answer might be there.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal

I didn't respond before because I wanted to see if others contributed.

The configurations I have seen using MDSP do not require PIM to be enabled on the interface used as the source IP address for the MDSP peering.

This is because it is simply an IP used for peering and nothing else as far as I know.

May not be of any use to you but just thought I add that.

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for replying, and this is exactly our point!!!

On the C6Ks we hadn't configured pim on those loopbacks used for peering, however seems as though to get MSDP to work correctly on NXOS we must enable pim.

Unless something funky is goin'on. Will have another look on Monday.

however seems as though to get MSDP to work correctly on NXOS we must enable pim.

Wouldn't surprise me, seems like a lot things are "slightly" different on the Nexus switches :-)

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card