Views
Helpful
Replies

MST: %SPANTREE-SP-2-PVSTSIM_FAIL: Spanning Tree Error/Failure

mcroft
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two core switches in a single MST domain. These are connected to several other third party "spokeL2 switches which run PVST.

There are no loops.

I have just seen this error which causes a blocked port for 6 mins.

Core Switch 1
%SPANTREE-SP-2-PVSTSIM_FAIL: Superior PVST BPDU received on VLAN 83 port Gi2/1, claiming root 4096:e45d.523c.8322. Invoking root guard to block the port
%SPANTREE-SP-2-PVSTSIM_FAIL: Superior PVST BPDU received on VLAN 50 port Gi1/6, claiming root 4096:e45d.523c.8322. Invoking root guard to block the port

Core Switch 2
%SPANTREE-SP-2-PVSTSIM_FAIL: Superior PVST BPDU received on VLAN 50 port Gi1/32, claiming root 4096:e45d.523c.8322. Invoking root guard to block the port

I am totally confused why I am seeing the same MAC address claiming a root from three totally different ports and totally different third party switches.

Any idea ?

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

2 Replies 2

Hi

Have you configured spanning guard root under the interfaces facing the third party switches or other access switches only, it could be a STP problem, the Third party switches could want be the root for any reason. 

If the Core switches are the roots for your VLANs, the above command should be configured during a maintenance window to avoid any impact. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi, thanks for response.

no, root guard was missed by junior engineers. (arghh!)
I completely understand this would have saved us.

But I am confused why this MAC address claimed root from three different ports connected to three independent switches. That doesn't make any sense.

uhmmmm...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: