cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSTP with RSTP

Dear Experts
Advise solution for below
We have mixed topology with Huawei and Cisco switches
Currently we are running RSTP and unfortunately it's not compatible between both switches and we have engages huawei support and they verified that RSTP between huawei and cisco isn't compatible so run MSTP
Is this possible to configure Root Bridge (Huawei) on MST and rest all switches running Rapid_pvst and will they elect Huawei as root bridge ?
We set Huawei as MST root bridge but unfortunately Cisco switches still not accepting huawei as RB

Also previously we have tried to move ring topology in MST and after moving we lost connectivity to all switches and when we reach on site and connected console we see ports were blocked with Pvst_Inc issue ?
Why PVST_inc was there as total ring was on MST but client side switches were still running r_pvst
Please advise how we can achieve this ?
We want Huawei work as Root bridge but currently cisco only accept huawei as RB on vlan1 

21 Replies 21

As per the diagram you have 2 Loops at a high level in the network related to all Cisco switches in Ring, On the HW side also.

You need to build a Plan and make each VLAN or group of VLANs in the segment design properly.

Bridge ID Priority 61861 (priority 61440 sys-id-ext 421)  <-- is this from the cisco switch? did you configure any manually?

how many VLANs in the network, are required to pass all over - i would minimize the VLAN by trunk allowing List to cut over topology change of STP.

below video explain to you how you can achieve this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm6pUfGkG3Q

Note: i have not had any good hands-on HW switches, but we can help you on the cisco switch side., please provide the CORE switch and cisco switch configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Thanks balaji for response
Basically we have 2 services behind Core switch and both are PPPoE Servers
1 is running from vlan 301 to 800 and secondary is running from vlan 1200 to 1400
We are also providing IP connections to customers starting from vlan 15 to 60 (Current Customers)

In Attached topology all vlans are running in trunk as these are aggregation layer switches and related customers of all vlans attached to any one of aggregation switch

I have issue only with cisco, HW I have good practice and I don't have any issue with HW
Yes, Manually I have given priority of vlans to all cisco swithces to 61440 (Maximum) only because I want these switches not to become root bridge 

After viewing known articles on web I have found HW and Cisco are compatible only if HW run VBST or MSTP 
so in our case VBST is not possible because it run only 128 vlans but we have many

So we need to move to MSTP but as soon as we move cisco switch to mstp we lost connectivity as uplink port blocked due to PVST_INC

Thanks

Basically we have 2 services behind Core switch and both are PPPoE Servers

As per the diagram we do not have visibility of what service you running and how you intent on fixing the issue.

Lets we focus on VLAN STP then ( always Root bridge should be nearer where Layer 3 is Located, so no trembling traffic to reach Layer 3.

This required some investigation and doing it properly, as I mentioned I do not have hands-on HW on how they behave, we only go with their documentation.

So we need to move to MSTP but as soon as we move cisco switch to mstp we lost connectivity as uplink port blocked due to PVST_INC

I was reading the HW site to understand how they configured and worked.

https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/knowledge/KB1000358612/?idAbsPath=24030814%7C21782164%7C21782167%7C22318564%7C22347935

You can simulate the setup using PNET / EVE using virtual images and understand the behavior before you can do in a real environment.

you mention BPDUfilter and it LAST option we have here   <<-- not sure where was this came from. the OP updated the latest diagram, so worth looking again that document - a rather old one.

BB

Hi Thanks for reply

Can I have any link for Simulator as Packet tracer doesn't support MSTP protocol in pre-installed virtual switches

Also by looking into diagram, that is our aggregation layer swithces
is this possible if we can turn on BPDU guard on all ports except Fiber ports (Fiber ports used for aggregation switches to connect with each other)
So client is connected with his own switches in his domain so we can suggest client to set BPDUFilter on his Uplink port so by doing this can we achieve our mstp works well ?
Also advise if one instance is enogh to map all vlans into it.

One more question but may be basic one, Client is connected with us using trunk port as client using multiple vlans ,
Is there any possiblity if we can give him access port and he can setup trunk facing to us and he can create multiple vlans but traffic coming to us should be the same as per access port vlan ?

Updated Network Diagram Attached
In this Diagram All are aggregation switches and we do have small rings also next to Aggregation which are on client site for redundancy

Thanks 

Still, the theory is the same One loop or many loops, you need to plan each segment and move the priority and cost of each segment.

May be if possible move to Start Topology where it can do best outcome, (if you have no option then you need to tune as we suggested start from small ) making config changes and monitor and move to next level.

BB

THIS SERIES ONLY FOR TAKE LOOKING IT NOT RECOMMEND OR NOT ADVISE 
JUST MAKE YOU AND OTHER KNOW THE USE OF portfast+bpdufilter to SOLVE THE MST<->PVST 

during study of interconnectData Center, I see some article about interconnect to site via L2 and disable STP via portfast + BPDUfilter

the idea is each site have it Root/ and BLK port that stop L2 Looping inside and connect via one link to other side which is also have it Root and BLK ports.

the idea as I explain it in my way, there is ISLAND of SW and there is one bridge ONE LINK between them so each ISLAND have it STP domain and we dont want to merge both STP in one big and confuse where we put the Root and whick link is BLK and even matching the STP mode in both ISLAND.
AGAIN this only for take info. 

Screenshot (597).pngScreenshot (598).png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card