Views
Helpful
Replies

Multcasting and switch IOS selection

davidfield
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

In need of a little advice.  I've not done a lot of mulitcasing config but now a large CCTV solution is being added to my network and need to make adjustements. 

From what info I have 6-7 decoders and a Recording facility are to be installed to receive from 6 encoders each with 8 camera.  All up 6 encoder sources and 6-7 decoder joiners to the multicast. From my reading of feature and understanding of IOS is that a 2960 IP Base switch will do the job, but if I need to access this network from another Vlan I would need to enable PIM sparse dense mode on my Cisco 800 router.  Alternatively I could pull the router out and put in a 3560 but does IP Base on a 3560 handle the multicast requirements?  I've seen references to IP Services required.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards

Dave

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

the IP base IOS for the 3560 series supports PIM is stub mode.  But I think, it would be better if you get the IP Service license for the 3560,

Q. What are the different types of feature sets?

A. There are three types of software licenses: LAN Base, IP Base, and IP  Services. LAN Base is only supported on the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X,  3650-X, and Cisco Catalyst 2K switches.

• LAN Base: Enables basic Layer 2 forwarding and IPv4/IPv6 switch management.

•  IP Base: Enables Layer 2 forwarding, IPv6 management, and basic Layer 3  routing, including Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)  stub and Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) stub mode.

•  IP Services: Includes IP Base and enables advanced IPv4/IPv6 Layer 3  routing such as EIGRP, Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), WCCP, VRF-lite,  PBR, and IPv4 multicast routing.

Also, have a look at figure-1 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326_ps10745_Products_White_Paper.html

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco