Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi Vlans and one interent connection

ahmad-emad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi....

I had 2 Distribution Layer 3 Switch 3750 Series one of them is work as server mode the other is transparent mode there are 3 vlans, I had one internet connection by Linksys router (ADSL), So please advise what the suitable configuration of Switch Layer 3 switch ???

Regards

13 Replies 13

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ahmad,

It would be good if yiou could provide more information

1.) regarding your VLANS, have you enabled ip routing and configured a routing protocol?

2.) as you have 2 3750 switches are they on the same rack? if so I would stack them and set VTP mode to transparent.

3.) regarding your connection to the internet I would set the IP of your Linksys router as a gateway of last resort so all traffic destined to the internet will be to the Linksys.

Please let me know if you need further explanation.

Cheers,

Fabio

Hi Fabio ,

Thanks alot for your corresponding,

I did every think related to inter_Routing, and I set VTP server and tansparent it is OK, I did,nt set routing protocol, How I can route all VLANs to one IP (gateway) on Linksys router, Could you give the commands which I need it to make routing out to internet ?

one more question please, is there any differences if the switch in same  rack or far from each other.

Best Regards

put this command for sending all the route to internet (to linksys)

ip routing

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

if both switches are in same rack u can able to configure H/W redundency by configuring STACKING.

Hi Ahmad,

Shehin precisely explained how to set a gateway of last resort ' ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "

The point about having both switches are in the same rack you can connect the stackwise cable (please look at the back of your switches). when you connect both switches via this cable they became stacked which means one single unit for management which is much easier (including for deploying vlans in your case)

bare in mind that there are few things to look for before stacking them. please search thwe topic on the internet specially about provisioning, priority...

we can do intervlan routing either by using static route or using a routing protocol. In your case I would use EIGRP or OSPF. Please search for it if you are not familiar...

HTH

Cheers,

Fabio

HI,

i think he does't have to use any dynami routing protocol unless he has any wan terminated or connected to any other

routing devices.only the "ip routing cmd" is required.

Dears,

I have tried this command, IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  iplinksys,  i can not icmp from the workstation to that Gateway 10.10.10.1

SERVER#show runn
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1736 bytes
!
version 12.2
no service timestamps log datetime msec
no service timestamps debug datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname SERVER
!

ip routing
!
!

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
!
interface FastEthernet0/9
!
interface FastEthernet0/10
!
interface FastEthernet0/11
!
interface FastEthernet0/12
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
!
interface FastEthernet0/14
!
interface FastEthernet0/15
!
interface FastEthernet0/16
!
interface FastEthernet0/17
!
interface FastEthernet0/18
!
interface FastEthernet0/19
!
interface FastEthernet0/20
!
interface FastEthernet0/21
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
no switchport
ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
no switchport
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface Vlan1
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface Vlan2
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan3
ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan4
no ip address
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1
!

line con 0
line vty 0 4
login
!
!
!
end

Regardss

can u ble to ping 192.168.3.1  from another subnet workstation,i hope u configured default g/w in workstaions.

Hi Ahmad,

Can you ping the linksys from your switch? you may want to create a vlan 10 ip 10.10.10.2 on your switch and assign the interface connected to the linksys to vlan 10 or set a layer 3 interface (no switchport and assign an ip address)

the linksys would receive traffic from 192.168.x.x and it would not have clue what that is... the switch has to communicate on the same network of the linksys....

regarding the routing protocol Shehin it depends and I have seen lots of posts here where people either recommended or had that set up... in the current case if the 2 switches are not stacked and apparently have the same SVI fine but add an extra SVI in only one of the switches and you have to have either static or dynamic routing enabled...

Hi Ahmed & fabio

have you created any SVI in second SW.can you post u r second sw config.I agree with u fabio if u r creating one SVI in

only one SW the othe SW will tottaly not aware about that extra SVI.in that case need static or dynamic.but in this case

if i am not wrong he has created SVI in only one SW

Hi for All,

what is the solution if I exchange Linksys with 1841 router.

Regards

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Ahmad,

In my opnion it would be good for you to tackle this project setp by step.

My sugestion:

1. Get intervlan routing working properly make sure that host can communicate with hosts in other vlans etc.

2. Set up the internet connection with your linksys first. I would probably set up a layer 3 interface on the switch to communicate with your linksys as per my last post. you can get it to work with the vlan 10 but then you have to set up reverse routes on your linksys whichh is not an option...

to test the connection between switch and your modem do:

ping (linksys ip address) source ip address of your 192.168.x.x vlans...

ps once you get this working with the linksys we can help you with the 1841.

BTW whats your WAN connection?

Cheers,

Fabio

Hi Faibio,

- inter-vlan it done properly Ican ping from any host to other host in different Vlan.

- I think I have to buy cisco router support routing protocol Like eigrp,... then I have to set eigrp on my layer3 switch as wel as on the new cisco router .

I have question If I can Ping from any Vlan to IP address of Linksys can I got interent service ?

Regards

Possibly Ahmad, if you can successfully establish connection from hosts to the linksys and vice versa you will be able to provide internet service... your config looks correct...

AFAIK you don't buy routing protocol support you buy IOS images that have differents features. EIGRP is standard in all cisco routers... new images at least... your switch and router should have it.

Type "router eigrp + AS" and you enable eigrp... more info below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfeigrp.html

Please let me know if you have more question otherwise mark as answered.

Also please rate helpfull posts..

Cheers,

Fabio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card