cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast group 224.0.1.40 !

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

I came by in a forum and this question really attracted me, my topology is completely based on dense mode, then why the routers join this group by default, if they dont will the topology will ever run into any problem if in future sparse mode is configured ?

7 Replies 7

shrikar.dange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

AFAIK the 224.0.1.40 is a reserved multicast group for cisco's Rp descovery. All cisco routers are members of this grup by default and listen to this group for Cisco RP discovery messages advertised by mapping agent even if it is not configured.I dont think there would be any problems if you change your topology to Sparse mode. But you should take in to account all the pros and cons.

HTH,

regards,

Shri :)

Dear Shri, the question is why they are joining this group automatically ?? what is the reason behind it ?, i really appreciate ur feedback but i didnt addressed my question at all :-)

Kindly guide me

What exactly are you looking for in an answer? It looks like your question has been answered already.

All cisco routers are members of this grup by default and listen to this group for Cisco RP discovery messages advertised by mapping agent even if it is not configured.

Dear Jason, what you have written is the fact/observation right ? i am asking the reason for it ? what is the reason that cisco implemented it ? is there any reason behind this behaviour ? whats the use of making them members of this group when they are all configured in Dense mode ?

Auto-RP groups rely on dense mode to distribute RP information. All multicast Routers must join 224.0.1.40 to receive RP information from the mapping agents. These routers have no Auto-RP configuration so do not know if it's needed, due to this they join automatically.

Dear Mark, if a router is configured for sparse-mode it knows that to learn RP it must listen to 224.0.1.40, so i think it can join it when it needs, i see no reason that it should join this group automatically when it doesnt need it. I hope cisco can clear what is the reason behind this automatic behaviour !

Hi Sri,

The RP discovery IPAddress is 224.0.0.40 not 224.0.1.40. Please clear me.

Thanks,

Mostafa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card