Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on ASR920 not working as expected

wipo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are testing an ASR920 in our lab and noticed that multicast is not working as expected.

When we create a network with 3 switches (c2960) with mostly default settings evertything works fine.

unicast form host A-B: ok

broadcast from host A-B: ok

multicast from host A-B: ok 

multicast setup1.png

But when we replace switch 3 by an ASR920 multicast does not work anymore. Although the ports are in the same BD and igmp snooping is enabled.

unicast form host A-B: ok

broadcast from host A-B: ok

multicast from host A-B: not working

multicast setup2.png

Can somebody explain the difference between the two setups and why multicast is not working with the ASR920.

4 Replies 4

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I got the exact same behavior. But it works by entering "ip pim sparse-mode" under "interface bdi 10"

My understanding is that the asr needs a querier to connect the different evc. And the ip pim sparse-mode enables the querier function. It will probably work if you configure the querier function in switch 1 or 2 instead. I did not tried it.

I wonder if anyone knows about another way to get this to work.

/Mikael

I have a similar problem and was wondering if Mikael's suggestion worked? I started another thread here

ASR920s not passing Layer 2 Multicast Traffic within the same BD - Cisco Community

The solution works in this specific networktopology. But when using the ASR920 as router&switch and adding secondary (redundant) routers to this network the solution did not work and caused other problems.

Thanks. For my issue, I ended up disabling igmp snooping for this specific BD and it worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card