cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on LAN doesn't work - 3750

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, I have PC_A and PC_B connected to the same switch, and are put in the same vlan. PC_A is the master (source) and PC_B is the destination (client).

IGMP Snooping is enabled by default.

Is there any reason why this should fail? There is no RP or any interface with PIM enabled. Its a flat network with a source and client in the same vlan...

IH-3750-LOADTEST-101#show ip igmp snooping vlan 724

Global IGMP Snooping configuration:

-------------------------------------------

IGMP snooping              : Enabled

IGMPv3 snooping (minimal)  : Enabled

Report suppression         : Enabled

TCN solicit query          : Disabled

TCN flood query count      : 2

Robustness variable          : 2

Last member query count      : 2

Last member query interval : 1000

Vlan 724:

--------

IGMP snooping                       : Enabled

CAPWAP enabled                      : Disabled

IGMPv2 immediate leave              : Disabled

Multicast router learning mode      : pim-dvmrp

CGMP interoperability mode          : IGMP_ONLY

Robustness variable                 : 2

Last member query count             : 2

Last member query interval          : 1000

IH-3750-LOADTEST-101#show ip igmp snooping mrouter

Vlan    ports

----    -----

724    Gi1/0/1(dynamic)

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.       

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
19 Replies 19

Hello Glen, thank you for your post, i have already seen this document in one of my previous posts.

I just wanted to quote from the doco... It says:

Mrouter Port

The mrouter port is simply the port from the switch point of view that       connects to a multicast router. The presence of at least one mrouter port is       absolutely essential for the IGMP snooping operation to work across switches.       The Understand the Problem and Its Solutions section of this document discusses this requirement in more detail.

But on this vlan, there is no multicast router. I do not want the switch to assume a multicast router is out there on gi1/0/1. Its just one flat vlan on the same switch - should work... Tested with a blank switch.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hello Bilal

What sdm template and IOS are you working with?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul, is this what you are looking for?

IH-3750-LOADTEST-101#show sdm prefer

The current template is "desktop default" template.

The selected template optimizes the resources in

the switch to support this level of features for

8 routed interfaces and 1024 VLANs.

number of unicast mac addresses:                  6K

number of IPv4 IGMP groups + multicast routes:    1K

number of IPv4 unicast routes:                    8K

number of directly-connected IPv4 hosts:        6K

number of indirect IPv4 routes:                 2K

number of IPv4 policy based routing aces:         0

number of IPv4/MAC qos aces:                      0.5K

number of IPv4/MAC security aces:                 1K

Hello

What I am thinking is by default , Switches have igmp enabled so apart from applying a source group, LAN MC should work, in your case it isn't so maybe it relating to the iOS your using or have you tested the same train in gns3?

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I've tested in my lab environment with the exact same kit and ios image and it works. It's something to do with the topology which is not quite clicking yet... It should work but it doesn't, I shouldn't see an mrouted port but I do.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card