Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing

ashleyreed4218
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

I am trying to solve an issue for a remote customer whom will not allow access to their boxes. Here is my problem: When my router connects to a server two routers down in my network, everything flows fine, until the server is rebooted. The customer suspects that there could be a problem with the router config, but I don't know that I agree, since I'm under the impression that if I get my multicast flowing through my routers at one point, it should continue to flow (as long is it is saved) continously, unless the configuration has changed, (which it hasn't been).

Is there anything with multicast where it may randomly stop working?

Thank you in advance,

Ashley

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You routers and switches (if configured correctly) just transport multicast packets.  They don't process it.  The issue most likely is with the source or receiver.  You can actually test that by using VLC and 2 different laptops.  Have one laptop as the source and the other as the receiver and run multicast for a period of time to make sure everything is working properly on your side. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Vlc-to-Stream-Audio-and-Video-to-Multiple-Computers-on-Your-Network-Using-Multicast

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card