Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Traffic Configuration Between layer 2 & 3 switches

Ahmed0076
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, 

I need a little help here. I've been stuck while configuring Multicast Traffic for two VLANs 59 & 60. Actually, these VLANs belong to Security Systems, and they want to enable multicast traffic on the network devices (Switches (Layer 2 & 3) & Routers) so that security servers can communicate with each other. Moreover, they have also requested to disable IGMP Snooping.

I been looking for a solution but no luck so far. Is there anybody who can help. 

Regards,

Ahmed

4 Replies 4

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/12-2_52_ey/configuration/guide/swmcast.html

In short if there is only one router

multicast-routing

interface vl 59

ip pim sparse-dense mode

interface vl 60

ip pim sparse-dense mode

ip pim rp address <one valid address on the router, preferable a loopback>

Why they want to disable igmp snooping? I would not recomend it if it not clearly stated why.

/Mikael

Hi Mikael, 

Thanks for that. 

It's a big network and we have got multiple Routers at different sites. However, the SVI are created on the core Switches which are sitting behind the Router. 

Just wondering to know, can we enable the below commands as you suggested on the core switches as well?

multicast-routing

interface vl 59

ip pim sparse-dense mode

interface vl 60

ip pim sparse-dense mode

ip pim rp address <one valid address on the router, preferable a loopback>

Thanks

Ahmed

Hi Mikael, 

Could you please also elaborate on the below query.  

In addition to my earlier question about Configuring Multicast Traffic, can we also enable Multicasting on Access Layer Switches (Layer 2)?  

Regards,

Ahmed

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

If your goal is to just enable mcast between these 2 vlans, you should only configure this in the equipment that serves the vlan. If these 2 vlans is not configured on the same device, then you have to configure it on all intermediate routers as well 

For L2, you don't have to do anything, mcast works by default. However,  if you disable snooping, all mcast traffic will flood out on all ports in the vlan, even ports that do not have mcast listener. Therefor I recommend to use igmp snooping enabled (it is enabled by default) 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card