cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast troubles with WDS and Cisco N7K

Cisco Tech
Level 1
Level 1

I see that there are multiple discussion on this topic but so far I have not been able to find an answer that fits my situation. I have a WDS server running on a VMware host connected to a Nexus 7010 via a trunk port. I then have a 3750 switch connected via L2, through which my client is connecting.

I tried feature pim and ip pim sparse-mode on the 7K and ip igmp snooping on the 3750. I tried changing the WDS multicast range to 232.0.0.0/8 to match the CISCO defaults. I feel like I am missing just one or two little commands and they continue to elude me! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~BRAD

9 Replies 9

mrSS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello...

Checked and saw igmp is on by default on the 7k...what u explained seems correct...i have attached a multicast app you can test with...issue could be with VM not sending mulitcast...

**found that app a while ago on this forum...great app and works perfectly...

I used the tool - you're right it is fantastic. I am getting traffic from the server to a client on the vlan. I launch the multicast stream from the server and it does not connect in WDS; still unicast. Do CISCO switches require a certain configuration regarding multicast that is different from the WDS defaults?

~BRAD

is the server to client the same subnet?...how bout the server to WDS?

The server that I tested was the server with WDS on it. Server is on 128 subnet. Client is on 116 subnet. Server is a VM running on a host connected to the 7K; client is a PC connected to a cisco 3750 switch.

~BRAD

it sounds like the application then...not sure how to set up WDS via multicast but found a link for u ..page 24

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5987870/StepByStep-Guide-for-Windows-Deployment-Services-in-Windows-Server-2008#outer_page_25

chris.stowe
Level 1
Level 1

are you "auto-rp"ing? Is the rp on another router, not the nexus?

If so try

Ip pim auto-rp forward listen

Just had to do this the other day. Besides enabling the feature and turning multicast on, you have to tell it to listen and forward.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hmm...I am not actually familiar with auto-rp. Should I be running it off of another router? What ramifications does that command have by putting it on the Nexus?

~BRAD

auto-rp or setting up an rp is usally if u are on a l3 network...from what u described, u are multicasting on a l2 network...have u looked into the application?

Right now I am trying to get it working over L2. Eventually I would like to extend multicast to the rest of my network over L3 so I may need to get the auto-rp thing figured out.

As far as the application goes, I am unsure if it is working or not. I can see the session initialize in the WDS dashboard, but once the client kicks off the process it disappears and I can't tell if it's multicasting or reverted to unicast. It's like it can't start using multicast or something is kicking it off after 10-15 seconds.

~BRAD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco