Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilayer switch rejects the command "switchport trunk encapsulation"

varshenys
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have created Vlans and in the Multilayer switch when I tried giving "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" it's not accepting.

Capture.PNG

can someone help me please.

6 Replies 6

MrButton
Level 1
Level 1

the newer iOS is just sw mo trunk

you can use the ? to see the sub commands.  also make sure the port is clear of other configs.

switchport mode trunk

then 
switchport trunk encapsulation 

if above not support 
then some SW support by default dot1x no need encapsulation command.

MrButton
Level 1
Level 1

ill be life saver and tell you default interface PortNumber is the command to clear a port interface.

This command clears the config of a port.  A lot of the command I short hand.  As you noticed I typed sw mo tr its the shorthand for switchport mode trunk.  encap dot1q is only used in older iOS versions.  

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Use c3560 to have that command; c3650 or c2960 do not have it; I think only c3560s and c2950s have that in PT.  Cisco has dropped its ISL encap protocol in all new switch models; so there is no need to specify dot1q encap method as it is default. 

you can use show  int gigabitEthernet 1/0/6 switchport  to see default settings like encapsulation

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I have pasted the sh command

Capture 1.PNG

What I am trying to say that not all switches will support "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command; Since there is only Dot1.Q encapsulation method that standard nowadays; Older Cisco proprietary ISL is being faced out.  This relates to Real IOS and virtual ones including PT which is simulator and does not run on real IOS.  PT is wonderful tool to learn networking and IOS at CCNA level but it is a simulator with several features and commands missing.  You are using c3650, which does not have that command.   I think only c3560s and c2950s have dot1q encap command; try it on 3560 switch in PT.  I think it is the same in real device but I am Not 100% sure. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: