Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple connection methods in single router port

dimigav1977
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can we configure on a router port two connection methods?

For example on gi0/0.835 IPCP dialer connection and on gi0/0.837 dhcp client?

6 Replies 6

Hello,

using subinterfaces on the router is possible, however, you still have only one physical uplink/cable. What is the router connected to, what service are you getting ?

The router is connected to ISP ONT device. The services are data and voip. 

The subinterfaces are 835 for data and 837 for voip.

The connection type for data-835 is pppoe and for voip-837 is dhcp.

Also uses 802.1P priorities. For data-835 priority is 0 and for voip-837 priority is 5.

Hello, 

the router configuration is not the problem. Configure the subinterfaces, connect the cable to the ONT and check what you get...

Of course, if you need help with the router configuration, post the output of 'show run' so we can fill in the bits and pieces...

I get IP only on 835 subif. The second subinterface never obtain IP.

If I configure the router only on 837 subinterface I get IP from DHCP.

I will prepare two configurations (one with subinterface 837 only and one with both 835 and 837) and I'll post the results of #show ip interface brief

Hello @dimigav1977 ,

in theory it should be possible to do what you ask.

But as we have seen in your previous thread on the same issue, your router looks like unable to support both subinterfaces on the same main interface at the same time.

So I tried to suggest you to move one subif to another interface connecting the ISP cable to a VLAN aware switch.

I don't know if you could try this setup.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Mr. Larosa,

as I replied in the previous thread I tried to make the following interconnection without success.

WAN->SW Gi0/1(trunk)

SW Gi0/2->R Gi0/0 (subif 835)

SW Gi0/3->R Gi0/1(subif 835)

I posted also the configuration files.

So, now with the attached config I can connect in both subifs at the same time. As you can see in show ... attached files.

But, if I put the whole configuration file something break. I need your help to find this.

I hope that I'm clear.

Thank you in advance

Dimitris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card