Views
Helpful
Replies

mutli vlan environment

Enki Doe
Level 1
Level 1

guys,

i am playing with packettracer to get more familiair with specific items.

i create a small environment with different vlans . They all have their own subnet. There is one routervlan.jpg

if i understood the theorie correct, i link vlans to specific ports. But how can these different computers communicate with each other and how can the get to the Internet? Also, i think i need to give the router multiple ip-addresses, one for each subnet to act als a gateway.
Am i correct?

Last question, something completely different, there is no 48 port switch in Packettracer, am i correct?

Hope someone can help.

thanks.

6 Replies 6

Hello

The routers lan facing interface will have the L3 sub-interface addressing for the multiple vlans for your network.

rtr

interface x/x
description lan facing
interface x/x.10
description vlan 10
encapsulation dot1q 10
ip address 10.10.10.x 255.255.255.0

interface x/x.20
description vlan 20
encapsulation dot1q 10
ip address 20.20.20.x 255.255.255.0
etc..

On the switch2, its connection attaching to the router will be a trunk interface and it will also have all the l2 vlans relating to the rtrs l3 subinterfaces, as will switch 3

switch2
interface x/x
description link to rtr
switchport mode trunk

interface x/x
description link to switch3
switchport mode trunk\

vlan 10
vlan 20

vlan xx
etc..

switch3
interface x/x
description link to sw2
switchport mode trunk

vlan 10
vlan 20

vlan xx
etc..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Many thank for the reply. But the connection from switch to switch will also be a trunk connection?

Many thank for the reply. But the connection from switch to switch will also be a trunk connection?

That is correct. All the connections between switches should be trunk.

HTH

And what if i connect the switches from the backsite instead of using a rj45 cable, is that also possible and can i use the same commands?

I am not familiar with packet tracer and not sure what you mean by "backsite" but you want to use Ethernet ports to connect the switches together.

HTH

I apologize for the misunderstanding. What i meant was real iron, real cisco devices, not PT this time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card