Views
Helpful
Replies

My PCs on North can't ping Switch on EAST & WEST

OpenDoors
Level 1
Level 1

Create the following network in Packet Tracer version 8:

• 2 - Switches(2960), connected together using Ethernet Cables via port G0/2
      • Label as S_East and S_West
    • 4 - Computers using DHCP, 2 attached to each switch
      • On S_East label the Computers PC_East 1 and PC_East 2 
      • On S_West label the Computers PC_West 1 and PC_West 2
    • 1 - Router(2901), Labeled R_ROAS, connected to S_West using Ethernet Cable via port Gi0/1(switch and router)
    • 1 - Switch(2960), Labeled S_North, connected to R_ROAS using Ethernet Cable via port Gi0/1(switch)
    • 2 - Computers using static IP attached to S_North
      • Label the Computers PC_North 1 (fa0/11) with IP 192.168.4.11, and PC_North 2 (fa0/22) with IP 192.168.4.22
    • 1 – Switch(2960), Labeled S_South, connected to S_North with Layer 2 Etherchannel using 4 fast ethernet lines

General Configuration:

Establish the following where necessary:

• DHCP (on R_ROAS) for network using 192.168.1.0/24
      • Exclude .1-.10 from the DHCP scope so they aren't handed out
      • DNS server ip is 192.168.1.5
      • Domain name is ACME.com
    • Statically assign IP's to all Infrastructure devices - use first available IP for each network on R_ROAS
    • On R_ROAS - Gi0/1 will use 192.168.1.0/24 network, Gi0/0 will use 192.168.4.0/24 network

• Verification:

1. All devices can ping each other

I feel like I did the above. But my PCs on north can't ping the switches on EAST or WEST.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

there were a few errors in your topology:

S_EAST

interface Vlan1
ip address 198.168.1.9 255.255.255.0 <-- wrong IP address

PC_NORTH 2

--> had no default gateway

Attached the revised, working file (saved in PT version 8).

View solution in original post

Hello,

you have 4 links between the switches, only 1 is active and forwarding due to spanning tree blocking the 3 others. In order to have all links active, you could configure a port channel (see revised file attached)...

OpenDoors
Level 1
Level 1

that makes a lot of sense. ty

10 Replies 10

Hello,

there were a few errors in your topology:

S_EAST

interface Vlan1
ip address 198.168.1.9 255.255.255.0 <-- wrong IP address

PC_NORTH 2

--> had no default gateway

Attached the revised, working file (saved in PT version 8).

any idea why the last switch to the right has the orange lights and not green? Also, I wasn't sure about putting a ip on those or not because of how they are connected.

Hello,

you have 4 links between the switches, only 1 is active and forwarding due to spanning tree blocking the 3 others. In order to have all links active, you could configure a port channel (see revised file attached)...

now none of them ping each other? does using the port channel block anything? they pinged before but not anymore

Hello,

I changed the channel to 'on' (which means no negotiation). Attached the revised file. I have full connectivity between all devices, hopefully you, too. I also changed the configuration of the access ports to:

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

so the PCs that get an IP address through DHCP do not time out when the port goes through spanning tree.

OpenDoors
Level 1
Level 1

that makes a lot of sense. ty

Hello,

I have attached a new version based on the requirements you sent. The only thing that does not work yet is that the East and west switches are not reachable through their management IP address, maybe you can have a look at that...

when I looked at the running config I saw that the ip on the east and west switches were off by one, then I checked the others to make sure and fixed them. since vlan 20 was the manager for all devices, I wanted to look at it and see any details I can but the show vlan summary cmd didn't work. then I tried pinging again and only a few pinged the router. they all seem to be connected network wise so if there is a error I'm not seeing it. I did notice the ip addresses being 1 off was just like my first error that had me up all night.

Hello,

the IP addresses were 'off' by one on purpose. My thought was: they are asking for e.g. the 18th available address. Since the first address is used for the interface is not available, it had to be 18 plus 1 (19). I could be wrong though, but it sounded like a 'trick' requirement...

Oh waw you’re right. I did not think of that. Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card