Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K CAM tbl behaviour - Fld Atck Kali Linux [F2e]

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Team,

I have a scenario where I'd like to fill up the N7010 CAM table using Kali Linux. Kali is installed on my macbook air as a VM and i've bridged the interface to provide my VM access to the nic. When i use macof to generate tonnes of traffic from numerous src mac/dst mac, src ip/dst ip, i do not see anything in the mac address table on the N7010 (SUP2E). But i do see traffic entering the port when i take a look at the statistics. 4000pps at approx 5mbps. So i know traffic is coming in.

All i saw on the mac address table was my physical mac nic, and my VM nic. Nothing else from the packets/frames generated by my VM.

Is it that nxos is using conversational mac learning - is this by default, or is it off?

I tried to see if I could see the traffic being broadcast on other ports in the same vlan, but tcpdump showed nothing, just usual cdp/stp from the switch.

I did the very same test on a Cisco 3560, and i was able to fill up the CAM table.

Is there a difference in the way these devices/asics handle such frames?

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
1 Reply 1

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Managed to find out why.

Macof does not work on nxos with default configuration because the forwarding engine performs packet sanity checks (its form of IDS). The forwarding engine, (switch on chip) SoC sits on the F2 line card itself. This makes sense when we do no see any broadcast from other ports.

Here are ref links for future:

https://clnv.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/usa/pdf/BRKDCT-3102.pdf

to turn the checks of and flood the cam table:

no hardware ip verify tcp tiny-frag

no hardware ipv6 verify tcp tiny-frag

no hardware ip verify length maximum-tcp

no hardware ip verify length maximum-tcp
Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card