Views
Helpful
Replies

Native Vlan Mismatch.

Nooby69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone help me understand why my native vlan was set to (inactive).

and I get an error on both switch device saying

CDP-W-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: interface gi6.Native VLAN mismatch detected on interface gi6.

If you have a fix please let me know that will be a big help 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

CDP-W-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: interface gi6.Native VLAN mismatch detected on interface gi6.

The Native VLAN mismatch is reported by the CDP protocol. Why is it happening? 

You had configured trunk port between two devices and there is VLAN misconfiguration on any of the device. For example:

SwitchA (Port1)----trunk port ------- SwitchB (Port2) are connected than where is a mistake:

Switch A port 1 configuration:

switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10-16

Here you can notice that I had added Native VLAN as VLAN ID 1 (it is default native VLAN ID (1) and this command (switchport trunk native vlan 1) will not visible in the running configuration).

Switch B Port 2 Configuration:

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 16

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1, 10-15

Here you can notice that I had added Native VLAN as VLAN ID 16.

This is the reason for a native VLAN mismatch error. I have to make changes in the configuration of any one device as I am making changes on the Switch B

as

switchport mode trunk

Note: Trunk port VLAN allocations must be matched with another remote device trunk port otherwise you will face issues as no communication for mismatch VLAN, error messages on the device, etc.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Filip Knezevic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can you post configuration of both ports? You have a native vlan mismatch and it is usually a configuration issue.

The problem is that on port Gi 6 you have have vlan 1 untagged and on port 50 you have it tagged. That's why you have a native vlan mismatch. Just paste the configuration of both ports and I'll tell you how to fix it.

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Nooby69 

Could you start the configurations of the connected devices?

Regards

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The Native VLAN mismatch is reported by the CDP protocol. Why is it happening? 

You had configured trunk port between two devices and there is VLAN misconfiguration on any of the device. For example:

SwitchA (Port1)----trunk port ------- SwitchB (Port2) are connected than where is a mistake:

Switch A port 1 configuration:

switchport mode trunk

Here you can notice that I had added Native VLAN as VLAN ID 1 (it is default native VLAN ID (1) and this command (switchport trunk native vlan 1) will not visible in the running configuration).

Switch B Port 2 Configuration:

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 16

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1, 10-15

Here you can notice that I had added Native VLAN as VLAN ID 16.

This is the reason for a native VLAN mismatch error. I have to make changes in the configuration of any one device as I am making changes on the Switch B

as

switchport mode trunk

Note: Trunk port VLAN allocations must be matched with another remote device trunk port otherwise you will face issues as no communication for mismatch VLAN, error messages on the device, etc.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card