Views
Helpful
Replies

Native VLAN without Tag removing

marc93marc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have a very special case where I have to route untagged Packages into a VLAN coming in from a trunk Port.
I also use the VLAN for further communication on the same host but in a different state so I cant use the native VLAN as it removes the Tag from packages that come in tagged correctly and communication then is no longer possible.
So is there an option to only tag untagged packages on a trunk port and not doing anything else then that?
Basically an access port with trunk options?
I hope that this abstract discription is enough, otherwise I will prepare an overview drawing with information in it.
Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....So is there an option to only tag untagged packages on a trunk port and not doing anything else then that?

?????? Would it not be more simple to implement standard routing solutions where for instance vlan's are 'attached' to a particular subnet , and then standard L3 routing is being used at a central point.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marc93marc
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I should not have said routing.
The special case is that we are loading a cloneczilla live image via PXE for backups over the "support" VLAN10.
Also the PXE Boot is done over that but I was able to configure it in the BIOS:
When the Subsystem now loads the Clonzilla image, the PXE Boot Tag information is gone and the Client is not longer reachable.
I want that the untagged packages now get again thrown into the "Support" VLAN10.
If I do this by the native VLAN, im not able to communicate from my normal OS where I have trunked ports aswell. Packages that come in from there with VLAN Tag VLAN10, the Tag gets removed and I cant communicate with other devices in the "Support" LAN anymore.

- Tx , for clarifying but as my first reply triggered this , it is always best to describe baseline-reason in initial body of post (too).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

The feature of an access port with trunk options" could be done like this:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan <VLAN>

switchport no negotiate

See if that works. It should only allow that vlan and not send trunk negotiation packets as well. 

-David

switchport vlan mapping vlan-id translated-id

I don't full understand your case but there is something called VLAN MAPING, check this feature.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card