cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need help with Catalyst 3850 error

Chris Callison
Level 1
Level 1

I have upgrades a non-stacked switch to 16.3 in order to use the wireless functionality, but it seems like every wireless-based command i try in the cli returns this error:

"The process for the command is not responding or is otherwise unavailable"

I have searched CCO and cannot find any help on how to resolve this.

I have already performed the "software cleaning" command and I see plenty of space on all drives and ram memory

Chris

7 Replies 7

Mic_Hael
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the same problem, but in my case some of the "show" commands does not work. The same output "The process for the command is not responding or is otherwise unavailable" is shown on the shell. I create a cisco TAC (it is running) but after 5 webex sessions I think cisco also do not know what this error is or know the source of the problem...

I configured a 802.1x configuration on my systems. After few days, weeks or month there is the message "%SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR" in the log an no communication via SNMP is available. For dot1x ==> no client can connect the ISE and is able to authenticate. The line "The process for the command is not responding or is otherwise unavailable" is the output on "show access-session" and all the other commands of dot1x checking. A "show netconf-yang" command also have this output. We have no process found until today who create that issue...

pieterh
VIP
VIP

please provide more information about hardware model and image version

you first need to enable the wireless feature

Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.x (Catalyst 3850 Switches) - Configuring Mobility [Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches] - Cisco

Procedure

Command or Action Purpose
Step 1

wireless mobility controller

Example:

Device(config)# wireless mobility controller

Enables the mobility controller functionality on the device. This command is applicable only to the switch. The controller is by default a mobility controller.

In my case these are the informations:

Catalyst 3650

IOS 16.12.4

Why i have to enable the wireless mode? There is no wireless mode on this platform, or is that not correct?

now you confuse me!

your original question is

need help with Catalyst 3850 error

I have upgrades a non-stacked switch to 16.3 in order to use the wireless functionality, but it seems like every wireless-based command i try in the cli returns this error:

==>> the 3850 has internally an vWLC built-in, my understanding was you want to use that functionality
you need to "switch-on" this virtual wireless controller with the wireless mobility controller command

Sorry, I thing that was my fault, because I jump to an exisitng post from Chris Callison. I have just the same error message and no idea where they come from.

aha now it's clear,

although the log entry is the same, the cause may be very different

-> i propose you move your question to a new thread, instead having two  discussions in one thread

reccon
Level 1
Level 1

-

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card