cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need suggection for WAN loadbalancing

CSCO11657467
Level 1
Level 1

Now i am doing one of my project.. it is very complicated for me.. current configuration net.JPG

In this picture R1 connected to internet for only VPN connection to branch office.. R2 internet connection used for internet only.. all the vpn connection are configure at the firewall.. Now are want to do is that i want to configure loadbalancing internet connection..What router and configuration should i use for this issue.. I want to do HA..if R1 down i will use R2 for internet..if R2 down i want to use R1 as the internet..Router need to support 1G ehternet for LAN.

i also don't want to use dual wan router...

Thanks...

5 Replies 5

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Can you provide a bit more detail for your current network?

- Do C1 and C2 represent two different ISPs?

- Is the firewall only used to terminate VPN connections for Internet traffic destined for R1? Does it provide any sort of filtering of Internet traffic as well?

- When your traffic is destined for the Internet via R2 there is no firewall involved?

I wanted to clarify your requirements:

- You say that you want to load balance but then you also mention you want to use R2 if R1 goes down and vice versa. Do you mean load balancing or do you mean redundant ISP links? There is a subtle difference.

If you want to want to terminate both Internet connections on the firewall and perform load balancing then this is not possible, see below.

It lists other possibilities but they all involve using only a single router.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13015

See below a link to configure redundant ISP links

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Both of these designs involve a redesign of your network where both ISPs terminate on the firewall.

Please rate all posts that are helpful

Can you provide a bit more detail for your current network?

- Do C1 and C2 represent two different ISPs?

- Is the firewall only used to terminate VPN connections for Internet traffic destined for R1? Does it provide any sort of filtering of Internet traffic as well?

- When your traffic is destined for the Internet via R2 there is no firewall involved?

I wanted to clarify your requirements:

- You say that you want to load balance but then you also mention you want to use R2 if R1 goes down and vice versa. Do you mean load balancing or do you mean redundant ISP links? There is a subtle difference.

If you want to want to terminate both Internet connections on the firewall and perform load balancing then this is not possible, see below.

It lists other possibilities but they all involve using only a single router.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13015

See below a link to configure redundant ISP links

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Both of these designs involve a redesign of your network where both ISPs terminate on the firewall.

Please rate all posts that are helpful

HI sean

1) yes, C1 and C2 are different ISPs

2) Yes, the firewall only used to terminate vpn connection for internet traffic destined for R1.it is not filtering for internet traffic ..

3) sorry, There is also firewall between R2 and switch

sorry for my unclear mention

i want to configure  redundant ISP links..

Thanks for your helping...

This is easily doable by using PBR or static route with IPSLA. First thing I would like to know is what L3 switch is this?

If this a Cisco L3 switch, what IOS image it is running.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi,

I'm still unclear, do you have one or two firewalls, one for each ISP or one firewall for both ISPs?

You requirement is for redundancy on the WAN side, what about redundancy on your LAN side as well?

Do you have a single switch on your inside network only?

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

4. Jan 14, 2011 3:22 AM in response to:                                                                                       Than Htike Soe

Re: Need suggection for WAN loadbalancing

Hi,

I'm still unclear, do you have one or two firewalls, one for each ISP or one firewall for both ISPs?

You requirement is for redundancy on the WAN side, what about redundancy on your LAN side as well?

Do you have a single switch on your inside network only?

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

I have two firewall for both ISP...My requirement is only WAN redundancy... Don't need redundancy ...

We have only one, lan core switch...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: