falasteeni
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

My case as follow:

I have Head Quarter office equiped with the following:

1. Cisco C6509-E (R7000).

2. Supervisor Engine 720.

3. Module:     WS-X6748-SFP  "with empty SFPs".

And i will have new site about 5km far away from the HQ the two sites will be linked together using Fiber connection.

What I want to ask is the following:

1. What is the exact SFP transceiver to be order for the C6509-E I have ?

2. Does the ordered transceiver can be installed within the current free SFP ports in "WS-X6748-SFP" that currently hosting  "GLC-SX-MM=" transceivers (so in have both tranciver types within same Module) ?

3. What is the tranceiver endpoint connecter type ?

In the remote site:

4. What is the best suitable 24 port switch to use there that support long distance fiber transceivers (I am thinking with C3560G-24 port, with 4-SFP) ?

5. What is the transceiver chip to order for the switch in point 4 to support the long link?

6. Do I need any further issues or converters (MUXes) in the middle between the two site is needed; because I'm not planning to use and MUX direct links only.

7. And is there any special configuration to be perform becuase the mentioned link will be use a Vlans trunk connection.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NickNac79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Falasteeni,

This depends upon the fibre you are getting laid, but assuming it is standard Single Mode Fibre, then it will be an LX/LH module: See Here

2. Does the ordered transceiver can be installed within the current free  SFP ports in "WS-X6748-SFP" that currently hosting  "GLC-SX-MM="  transceivers (so in have both tranciver types within same Module) ?

Yes, you can mix Transceiver types in the same blade.

LC/PC

4. What is the best suitable 24 port switch to use there that support  long distance fiber transceivers (I am thinking with C3560G-24 port,  with 4-SFP) ?

"Best" is subjective - it depends upon your requirements.  a C3560G-24 will work just fine, yes, however the 24port model has only 2 SFP ports.

5. What is the transceiver chip to order for the switch in point 4 to support the long link?

Exactly the same as in Question 1

6. Do I need any further issues or converters (MUXes) in the middle  between the two site is needed; because I'm not planning to use and MUX  direct links only.

For Single mode fibre with LX/LH transceivers you do not need any hardware in the middle - just connect them up.

7. And is there any special configuration to be perform becuase the mentioned link will be use a Vlans trunk connection.

No special configuration required at all.  Once it is in it will look and act exactly the same as your other Multimode fibre links.

Hope that Helps!

Please rate helpful posts.

Nick

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

NickNac79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Falasteeni,

This depends upon the fibre you are getting laid, but assuming it is standard Single Mode Fibre, then it will be an LX/LH module: See Here

2. Does the ordered transceiver can be installed within the current free  SFP ports in "WS-X6748-SFP" that currently hosting  "GLC-SX-MM="  transceivers (so in have both tranciver types within same Module) ?

Yes, you can mix Transceiver types in the same blade.

LC/PC

4. What is the best suitable 24 port switch to use there that support  long distance fiber transceivers (I am thinking with C3560G-24 port,  with 4-SFP) ?

"Best" is subjective - it depends upon your requirements.  a C3560G-24 will work just fine, yes, however the 24port model has only 2 SFP ports.

6. Do I need any further issues or converters (MUXes) in the middle  between the two site is needed; because I'm not planning to use and MUX  direct links only.

For Single mode fibre with LX/LH transceivers you do not need any hardware in the middle - just connect them up.

No special configuration required at all.  Once it is in it will look and act exactly the same as your other Multimode fibre links.

Hope that Helps!

Please rate helpful posts.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thansk for the update, but I need exact tested product numbers for each device if possible to go ahead and slect them from Cisco configuration.

-> Product for Single Mode = ?  , Multiple Mode = ?

4. What is the best suitable 24 port switch to use there that support long distance fiber transceivers (I am thinking with C3560G-24 port, with 4-SFP) ?

"Best" is subjective - it depends upon your requirements. a C3560G-24 will work just fine, yes, however the 24port model has only 2 SFP ports.

-> Mainly it will be the Aggregate switch so other switch connected to it i think 2 SFP enough.

-> So the same transceiver order for 6509-E needed to be ordered for the 3560G ?

* If you can specify the exact SFP transceivers because I found the below two in cisco:

1) GLC-LH-SMD=     :     1000BASE-LX/LH SFP transceiver module, MMF/SMF, 1310nm, DOM

2) GLC-SX-MMD=     :     1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module, MMF, 850nm, DOM

Are they correct ???

Dear Naidu,

Thanks for the update nop mainly I'm going with 1 G module becuase it is more than enough, and yes it will be C3560G-24-TS-S.

-> Product for Single Mode = ?  , Multiple Mode = ?

Please see here: You need Singlemode, so you want the GLC-LH-SM= or GLC-LH-SMD= (SMD includes DOM support)

-> So the same transceiver order for 6509-E needed to be ordered for the 3560G ?

Yes - Any Cisco SFP Module will work in any Cisco SFP port.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think you are talking about c3560g-24ts-s which contains 4 SFP ports.
Do you need 1G sfp or 10?

Following are the sfp modules for the same.

SFP-10GB-SR/LRM -->10 G modules
GLC-SX-MM -->1 G modules.

I didnt deal much with 6500 so I may not suggest you about these.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

I think you are talking about c3560g-24ts-s which contains 4 SFP ports. 

Ooops - yes you're right - was thinking out the c3560-24ts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7f.html

Nick

Following are the sfp modules for the same.

SFP-10GB-SR/LRM -->10 G modules
GLC-SX-MM -->1 G modules.

Note these are MULTIMODE.... the OP is asking about distances of 5KM+ hence he needs singlemode.

He also didn't say he had any 10G capability in his 6500, and the 3560G has no 10G capability anyway.

Nick

Nick

So now i have to pick a Single Mode SFP.

Switch                                        Transceiver (Product Number)

C6509-E                                                      ?

C3560G-24TS                                              ?

Expected Transceivers if I'm not mistaken:

C6509-E                   GLC-LH-SMD=

C3560G-24TS            GLC-LH-SMD=

Yes that will do fine :-)

Thanks a lot for the advice and help I'm preparing the requirement lists to be ordered

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: