cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Neighbor name not matching the actual device name

Unique-11
Level 1
Level 1

I have a L2 switch( let say Switch A ) and it's connected to another switch ( Switch B )

when I do show cdp neiboor from switch B it showing me the switch name which is SwitchA + another word

The qouestion is : I need to know why there is another word appering beside the actual switch name ? and how can I remove i ?

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

is that just a random word being tagged on to the actual hostname, or does it correspond to something you see in the output of 'show cdp neighbor detail' ?

One instance where e.g. the domain name would be appended is when you have 'ip domain-lookup' and 'ip domain-name x' configured on the switch...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Captain HoOmi
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen similar issue before. 

Try:

- Change the hostname

- waited for the holdtime timer to expire

- change the hostname again

You can also disable CDP , change hostname , re-enable CDP

** Please rate this post or accept the solution if it helped! :) **

Hello,

is that just a random word being tagged on to the actual hostname, or does it correspond to something you see in the output of 'show cdp neighbor detail' ?

One instance where e.g. the domain name would be appended is when you have 'ip domain-lookup' and 'ip domain-name x' configured on the switch...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card