Views
Helpful
Replies

network capacity planning

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

can anyone give me an example of what is needed for a good capacity plan, ie for a new WAN etc

cheers

Carl

3 Replies 3

Eugene Khabarov
Level 7
Level 7

Look at this excellent document from IBM:

http://www-07.ibm.com/services/pdf/nametka.pdf

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

Knowing what you're service requirements will be, what's the expected traffic load, what the traffic will look like and the capabilities of the equipment you'll be using.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The biggest hindrance to "capacity planning" are:

1.  left-hand doesn't talk to the right-hand - I used to work for organization where the servers would build servers and wouldn't tell network what they are doing.  So this means that we don't know what the servers are for (video or voice or data) and what infrastructure are needed to help support this new server.  Some people sometimes call this tunnel-syndrome.

2.  Don't get a boy to do a man's job - Make sure you have the right (wo)man to do the right job.  We had a CTO who declared to world, in similar words, "he isn't excited about new technologies" and "happy to follow what everyone else is doing".  When the CEO saw the article in the media, the CEO called the CTO into his office and told, "Sign this.  This is your resignation letter.  I want your office cleaned out by Thursday.". 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card