cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network documentation (for disaster recovery)

Marian Hercek
Level 1
Level 1

What are recommended commands to get input for network documentation (for disaster recovery)?

I've got 6500 with these modules: WS-SVC-FWM-1,

WS-SVC-IDSM-2, VS-S720-10G, WS-X6704-10GE, WS-X6748-SFP and dozens of WS-C3750E-48TD in couple of buildings.

So far I have these commands:

more system:running

show interfaces status

show vlan

show spanning-tree

show vtp status interface

show cdp neighbors

show etherchannel summary

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RKB04071984_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would say to have the configuration file is enough. Otherwise you should keep your topology documentation up to date in case of a disaster.

You could use the command archive config to save in another location your last configuration file. More instructions on the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/command/A_through_B.html#GUID-26CDF18C-A66D-488A-BA38-D85A70AD95DF

However this command is not available for FW and IDS modules. In these case you could use the Cisco Security Manager - CSM to avoid any lost.

Ronaldo

View solution in original post

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marian,

Apart from having a backup of your running-config, I suggest also making a backup of the following data:

• vlan.dat
  • IOS images
  • any special files if located in FLASH
  • inventory of the device (show inventory to have a bill of materials if a physical component fails)

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RKB04071984_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would say to have the configuration file is enough. Otherwise you should keep your topology documentation up to date in case of a disaster.

You could use the command archive config to save in another location your last configuration file. More instructions on the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/command/A_through_B.html#GUID-26CDF18C-A66D-488A-BA38-D85A70AD95DF

However this command is not available for FW and IDS modules. In these case you could use the Cisco Security Manager - CSM to avoid any lost.

Ronaldo

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marian,

Apart from having a backup of your running-config, I suggest also making a backup of the following data:

• vlan.dat
  • IOS images
  • any special files if located in FLASH
  • inventory of the device (show inventory to have a bill of materials if a physical component fails)

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter for valuable suggestions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: